Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pomegranite glazed pork chops

I was really excited about this recipe because I've grown to love pomegranites! When I lived in Ames, Mom brought one over one weekend and splattered the juice all over the walls while trying to get the seeds out...hence my apartment looked like a murder scene (and the juice stained permanently) afterwards on the dull paint. Also, pomegranite juice goes spledidly with vodka...just an FYI!

Justin on the other hand, was not so excited about this recipe...but that happens sometimes, and then he loves it, so I rarely take his advice.  But I did make half of the pork chops for Memorial day/Gary's birthday dinner with Lawry's baja chipotle marinade for 30 minutes (pictured below) and half with the pomegranite glaze recipe so he wouldn't whine :) 



So here's what you need for each pork chop you want (just double or triple for 2-3 chops):

1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/8 t cinnamon

1 c pomegranite juice
1 t sugar
2 t sliced green onions

Marinate the chop in 1/2 cup of pomegranite juice for 30 minutes beforehand. Stir together the first group of ingredients and that makes your rub (make sure to rub both sides of the pork chop). 



Throw the pork chops on the grill on medium heat and cook as you normally would. In a skillet, combine the sugar and the other 1/2 cup of pomegranite juice and bring to a boil.  Boil, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half and thickens up to become more of a glaze than a liquid.  The picture below is after the glaze is reduced, and this was triple the glaze recipe since I was doing 3 pork chops:



Use a baster to coat both sides of pork chops with the glaze while they grill, as heavily as possible (in hindsight, I wouldve basted them after they were fully cooked came off the grill so the glaze didn't cook off as much). 



Sprinkle with green onions and serve! I left off the green onions as I didnt have time to grab any but they wouldve given it some good flavor I think.  I guess Justin was right in the end (don't ever tell him that though) because I wasn't in love with this recipe but it was decent, Gary and Teri seemed to really enjoy both kinds of chops we had.  I actually liked the baja chipotle marinated chops better but you never know what you're going to fall in love with until you try it.  Here's the final product served with bacon roasted brussel sprouts and party potatoes:

No comments:

Post a Comment