Thursday, June 16, 2011

Roasted asparagus with balsamic browned butter

I love me some asparagus...but I always make it the same way.  I hate that it tastes the best with butter because I try not to use butter if I can help it.  Same with olive oil.  They both add a lot of taste but you trade off with added fat and calories.  So usually I just steam it, throw some cracked salt and pepper on it, and top it with reduced fat parmesan cheese.  It's great that way and is one of our fave veggies, but I'm always looking for new ways to do it.

Here is one that does include butter but is not too bad for you either.  Here's what you need:

40 asparagus spears, trimmed (about 2 lbs)
1 t salt
1 t pepper
2 T butter (light)
2 t low sodium soy sauce
1 t balsamic vinegar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a cookie sheet with your trusty fat free Pam cooking spray so the veggies don't stick.  Lay the asparagus out on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake for 12 minutes or until tender....I had thin asparagus so it didnt' take 12 minutes, keep an eye on it or it will be a little crispier than intended :)


Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat, cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned (pictured below), shaking the pan occasionally so it doesn't burn.  Remove from heat and add soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. 



Drizzle over asparagus, tossing well to coat.  Add salt and pepper on top to taste.  We had this on a Sunday evening so it was my cheat meal for the week, which means don't judge the steak and homemade mac and cheese on the plate too! :)  I really liked this, and so did Justin considering he usually doesn't get butter even though its his fave.  Picture that butter popcorn commercial where the guy gets caught by his wife and kid taking a bite out of a stick of butter....that's Justin when I'm not home, I'm sure. 

Anyway, even with the butter, if you have 5 sticks of asparagus the recipe lists this serving size at 45 calories and 3 g of fat which isn't bad for a side (ummmmm, don't count how many sticks I had!).  So have at it, all you butter lovers!


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment