Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Corn and zucchini orzo salad

I know I've said this before but this is my LAST zucchini recipe for the summer...Im done with them.  I literally ripped the plants out of the ground.  Sort of sad, sort of a blessing in disguise.  I get squash borers each year and they ravage my zucchini plants to the point where they eat the fruit inside out and I get rotten squishy messes of zucchinis by the time they would be ripe to pick.  I will always continue to plant them, as I love zucchini in the summer...but by the time these borers have their way with my zucchini plants, Im already sick of it for the year anyway, so it's lucky I don't have to try to get rid of 20 lbs of crop per week.  Anyway, this was my last one...so I used it wisely! I have an abundance of fresh basil in my planter too so this recipe lept off the page at me...

Martha Stewart's Food came on Friday, I saw this and made it on Saturday since it looked like the perfect way to go out with my last zucchini of the year! I adapted it a little to fit what I had at the house so I didn't have to make a run to the store...

1 large zucchini, diced
2 cans mexicorn
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 box orzo
1 white onion, diced
2 fresh jalopenos, diced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup fresh basil leaves torn up
4 oz feta cheese (I used reduced fat)

Cook the orzo according to directions.  I usually use chicken broth instead of water as it gives it more flavor but not much more fat. While the orzo is boiling (continue to stir randomly), mix zucchini, onion, garlic, and mexicorn up in a skillet with Pam to prevent sticking, and saute until they are tender.  Add to serving bowl along with all other ingredients, and mix well. Serve chilled as a pasta salad side dish...you can add or delete any of the ingredients, I added a 1/2 bag of broccoli since I had it in the fridge, and used 4 jalopenos instead of the 2 it called for in the recipe.  I also would add more feta next time as it was the star of the dish, but I didn't have enough on hand at the time.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment