Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tortellini and Pancetta in mushroom cream sauce

I realize it's now lent so posting a recipe with meat in it on Friday is a little jerky, but the pancetta/bacon  could be removed from this recipe by simply adding more mushrooms.  I'll work on getting some good seafood up next week (Valentines day dinner was out of this world and was all seafood) but if you need something for right now...my go to fish meal is a recipe of my friend Michelle's, and is super yummy and easy, while exuding a fancy vibe...you have to try it!  So go check out Michelle's tilapia with mango salsa or a couple of my new favorite shrimp dishes: the roasted tomatoes with shrimp and feta, or the recently posted shrimp pomodoro!

12 oz tortellini
2 T olive oil
1/2 cup pancetta, cut into small chunks (I used bacon, since I didn't have pancetta)
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup heavy cream (I used skim milk)
cracked black pepper
1.5 cups grated pecorino romano cheese

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add pancetta and mushrooms, saute until mushrooms are brown.


Add cream and stir frequently, until sauce begins to thicken. Turn heat down to low and add pepper and cheese. Stir until sauce is smooth. I also added some Gunpowder spice, which is a mix of peppers, just to give it some kick! You could use red pepper flakes if you like some bang in your bite too....you know how I roll!


Drain pasta and put in pan with sauce. Turn heat off and stir together gently. Serve immediately, as the sauce will tend to dry up....


This was sinfully delicious...a lot heavier than I usually serve so it was a nice treat, especially with some garlic baguette to scoop it into my mouth. I shall be having the leftovers tonight as it seems that there is snow in the forecast so I'll be cooking for only myself....and here I thought for sure that Spring was in the air...


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment