Monday, September 19, 2011

Breakfast Everyone

Crockpot breakfast? Really? And I thought make-ahead breakfast casseroles were simple.  I am going to be honest and tell you that I didn't even have a bite of this at the tailgate.  I have no personal experience of this dish in my mouth...but the evidence I have to go on of it's taste is pretty legit.  The thing was empty.  EMPTY.  This was so heavy, it was like 10 lbs of breakfast casserole.  Gone.  So I'm assuming it was liked....if you try it and it's horrible, blame the drunk tailgaters who mowed this down and made me think it was amazing.

Since we began tailgating so early (I was def a Wendy Whiner when the alarm went off), I wanted to have a breakfast dish as well as the standard tailgate food...everyone needed a hearty breakfast to coat their stomachs for the big game day!  I found this recipe on http://www.cdkitchen.com/ and thought I would give it a go.

32 oz frozen hash browns
1 lb cooked ham cubed
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1.5 cups shredded cheese
12 eggs
1 cup skim milk
1  t salt
1 t black pepper

I also added:
1 lb cooked pork sausage
1 cup cherry tomatos from the garden, halved
1 can mushrooms, drained

Layer the potatoes, ham and sausage, veggies, and cheese so you have several layers in the crockpot.  Repeat until you are out of those ingredients (ending with a cheese layer).  Beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper....pour over the layers in the slow cooker.  Cover and turn on low for 5 -6 hours. 


As I said, I didnt get a chance to taste it, so I also didn't get a chance to photograph it after it was cooked.  I guess that just means I will have to make it again so I can try it....what a shame!  :)


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment