Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tortellini soup

Waste not, want not.  I had the perfect plan for the leftover kale from the night before's cod and kale linguine.  And I only needed 2 more ingredients!

"It's done already?"  If Justin's reaction doesn't tell you how quick this recipe is, I don't know what will prove it to you!  This is a 10 minutes from start to "face in the feedbag", 3 ingredients total, freezer friendly, yummy winter meal for those blah days where you don't feel like cooking. Or in my case, a perfect throw together after boot camp when you can't move your arms more than just to get food to your mouth, and that's only because it's a necessity.  Mama K found this a while ago and made it for me a couple times, she said Big Dan and Ben are not really fans so she thought it wasn't a "guy soup"....but Justin loves it, Curt loves it, and I'm told Michelle's hubby Mark really liked the leftovers she brought him last year when I made it for our Thursday night tv dinner once.

I usually use just plain cheese tortellini, and will be sticking with that from now on. I tried to venture out of the box with this one and use half chicken and prosciutto tortellini and half cheese...didn't fly so well with the man of the house.  He didn't hate it, he just thought it tasted "different"...and "different" usually means "why are you always changing things on me??".  Soooo, lesson learned. Stick with what works, especially when it works this well.

You can use whatever brand of pasta you wish, I go with whatever is on sale usually....


Boil a large can of chicken broth (I used 2 since I used 2 packs of tortelini).  Add the tortelini, I take it straight out of the freezer and throw it in frozen.  When they float, add the kale (I used a half of a bunch).  Another 2 minutes of boiling and you are ready to serve with some cracked pepper, and usually some crusty bread or baguette for dipping (I didn't have either this time).  Duh, duh, duh, duuuhhhhhhhhh......TORTELLINI SOUP!! 


Oh, and did I mention that the leftovers go in the freezer for an even easier meal later?  Seriously tastes just like you made it on the spot when it's thawed.  LOVE this stuff!

Check out my new pinterest and facebook share buttons below....I'm slowly learning this blogging stuff, inch by inch :)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment