Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Crockpot sausage tortellini

Since Mother Nature is a B, and we've got a cold front on the way in, I figure its the perfect time to share a crockpot recipe with you! This was one of the easiest ones ever, but then again, I haven't met a super hard crockpot recipe very often. It's sort of the point of the crockpot, isn't it?! Anyway, I had seen this recipe on Pinterest a zillion and one times and had it in my pile to try forever, which meant I had all the elements on hand. Most of them are frozen or canned, so I always kept this on the back burner for a day when I had no dinner ideas (it happens to the best of us)...and that day finally arrived! I had also heard from a few friends who had tried it that this was worth giving a shot, so I saddled up and rode. I do not know who posted this recipe originally, so if anyone does, you can let me know so I can give them credit!
 
1 (19 oz) bag frozen cheese tortellini
1 small bag of fresh spinach
1 (14.5 oz) cans Italian style diced tomatoes, drained
1 block (8 oz) cream cheese (I always use fat free)
1 lb ground turkey or chicken sausage
4 cups chicken broth
1 can mushrooms (I added this)
 
Brown the meat and add all ingredients to the crockpot. Mix well and cook on high for 2-3 hours. I always, always, always cut the cooking time down on crockpot recipes. Seems like they always say 4-6 hours or so, and I've never had anything need 6 hours before. Besides, all the ingredients are just needing to be warmed and melded, the meat is already cooked.
 

Serve with garlic bread and you're in business! I made this on a Sunday afternoon as I ran some errands, and came home to a gloriously filling dinner that I barely worked on...can't beat that with a tortellini. Happy hump day, all!




Pin It