Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Crockpot ranch potatoes

It's official.  It's sweatshirt weather.  It's PERFECT running weather.  College football started (with an ISU win too)! It smells like Fall.  Summer is over. I'm really sore about this. Not because I hate Fall, but because I despise Winter.  If it didn't come before Winter, Fall would be one of my faves actually.  Who doesn't love tailgating, and hoodies, and soups, and jeans, and the pretty colors of the leaves on the trees?  I just wish we could skip the 10 ft of snow and ice and below 0 degree weather that is Iowa winter each year....just once. 

But anyway...Happy Labor Day yesterday! I absolutely love long weekends but need to learn to pace myself and relax a bit during them or it just makes for the following short week to feel like the longest week in the world. We had 2 nights of camping to begin our weekend, top that with sideways rain the first night and drizzle the next day while we canoed and it sounds like a horrible time....if you're not us.  We ended up having a great time and I'm still recooping from it!  This was one of the simple recipes I threw in the crockpot to have cook while we were canoeing on Saturday, since we are always starving after being on the river for 4 hours.

2 lbs red potatoes, cut up
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 ranch packet

Mix all that up in a bowl, throw in a crockpot, and cook on low for 6 hours.  Our trip only lasted 4 hours so these weren't done right away.  I threw them on high for a couple hours and they turned out better the next day than they were the first day, because I like a mushy potato over a crunchy potato any day of the week.  I also doubled the recipe since we had about 12 people with us...so this made quite a bit for a large group!  Will have a lot more crockpot recipes coming up for tailgating season soon so keep your peepers open....


Pin It


43 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, they were completely raw before I started the crockpot!

      Delete
  2. do u eat them by themselves or serve with another food item?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would serve them as a side but if you added some ham or something you could def serve it as a meal!

      Delete
  3. What size can of cream of chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the normal small soup can...

      Delete
    2. We have different cans here in Australia to you, how much do your small cans hold? This sound yummy! We also don't have ranch dressing like you guys do, but I've found some recipes online to make my own. My mouth is starting to water!

      Delete
    3. 10.5 oz can of soup is what I used! I never thought about readers from other countries, I will edit the post...thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. If I had them in the crockpot on low for 10 hours, would that overdo them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so...I think you would be fine for 10 hours, and if not, you just have mashed ranch potatoes! :)

      Delete
  5. How much does one recipe serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, we had about 6 people eating off of it as a side and we had leftovers...this is a huge recipe!

      Delete
  6. Do you think you could use golden potatoes instead of reds?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girlfriend is a vegetarian so I can't use cream of chicken, I was thinking cream of mushroom instead. What do you think or have another suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sub cream of celery for my cream of chicken

      Delete
    2. Cream of mushroom would be great!

      Delete
  8. the package ranch dressing or bottled ranch dressing...no seasonings? What about parsley and salt and pepper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the dry ranch packet with no seasonings, there was plenty of flavor without! I wouldn't add salt, as the other ingredients have plenty of that...

      Delete
  9. can this recipe be done on high ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abby, do you add any broth or water to the mixture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did the sour cream and chicken soup and they had enough moisture to cook! :)

      Delete
  11. Can this be cooked on high for a shorter amount of time?

    ReplyDelete