Thursday, July 7, 2011

Crockpot wings

I would say that I have about 2 weeks worth of postings just with recipes I made for the 4th of July bash we had...we had a spread, I'll tell you!  One of the things we have to have whenever we have a party are crockpot wings, I think Justin would cry if I didn't include them. They're not that great for you, so I don't make them unless it's an occasion, but I'm sure he would be happy as a clam to have them for dinner every night of the week. 

These aren't just wings...these are fall off the bone, melt in your mouth wings.  They're the best wing recipe I've come up with to date so if you have a better one, let me know!  I'm more keen to the fried version, but these are a bit better for you so I settle.

With all the hubbub, I never got one picture of the wings though...and they were one of the first things devoured at the party (even though I made 10 lbs of them).  I apologize for the lack of mouthwatering photos...EDIT: I remembered to snap a pic during tailgating this weekend when I made the wings again!
We like our wings a little on the spicier side so I buy the cajun seasoning packets, but you could go with mild or buffalo, whatever flavor suits your family (the brand I use is French's I believe, as they include a baking bag in the seasoning packet).  I use large ziplock bags to coat the wings evenly with seasoning and then transfer them to an oven bag, cutting two large slits in the top while also securing the open end, and placing on a cookie sheet for baking.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cook wings for 1-1.5 hours. 

With 10 lbs of wings I split them into two batches and used two separate baking bags on two separate cookie sheets.  I did this the day before the party so I would have less to do the day of the bash.  I added the wings to 2 separate crockpots (with crockpot liners of course) and added my favorite sauce on top of them. 


We use Buffalo Wild Wings flavored sauces...Justin's favorite is spicy garlic, and my favorite is wild.  Put the lid on and throw them in the fridge until about an hour before the party when you set the crockpots to high for about an hour and wait for them to warm up, stirring every so often. Put the crockpot on warm and let your guests get after it!


As I said, these are always a hit and there are never leftovers.  You can use your own seasonings, your own sauces, etc...but baking before the crockpot is the trick to fall off the bone wingies for your next party!!

Edit: Im pretty proud of the fact that someone liked this well enough to share it on http://www.stumbleupon.com/!!  I had over 700 views on this post the first day...glad someone was happy with the recipe :)


Pin It


15 comments:

  1. I'd like to just clarify (to make sure I'm reading correctly), I evenly coat the wings, bake these in the oven at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half, and then when ready to start eating THEN I put them in the crock pot for about an hour?

    So I don't cook them the entire time in the crock pot?

    ReplyDelete