Thursday, June 7, 2012

Breakfast pizza

If you live in Iowa, you know about Casey's breakfast pizza. For some reason, this gas station chain is our go-to pizza place....when we get a craving for some 'za, we don't call Pizza Hut or Godfather's, we call the gas station. And when you want breakfast pizza, it's the only place to be. I've only had better breakfast pizza one place, and that's in Montezuma so it's a pretty long drive from home. Sounds odd, but don't knock it till you've tried it...I'm telling ya! I've been searching for a way to make it at home for quite some time, and the elusive ingredient is the nice cheese sauce they use instead of regular pizza sauce (10 points if anyone reading works for Casey's and can snag me that recipe).  I've looked on Pinterest (it's the new google when it comes to recipes) and couldn't find anything but people simply using shredded cheese instead of sauce. Then it hit me...I saw a can of Cheddar cheese soup in the grocery store, and figured I could give it a shot! Oh, did it work...the soup is the perfect consistency for pizza sauce and I seriously surprised myself at how good this homemade pizza was!

I made 2 of them to freeze and take to the lake for Memorial day weekend, so we wouldn't have to worry about breakfast each morning. I also wanted to "skinny up" the standard breakfast pizza a bit. Although this is not exactly diet food, if you're going to have breakfast pizza, it's better than your other options.  Here's what you need for 2 pizzas:

2 whole wheat thin crusts
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 lb breakfast sausage, browned (I plan to use turkey in the future but this was deer sausage given to me by a friend)
12 eggs, scrambled (I used 6 eggs and 6 egg whites)
6 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled (use turkey for even less calories)
1 package canadian bacon
2% shredded colby jack cheese

From here, it's pretty self-explanatory, but I'll take you through the steps.  Spread your cheese sauce on the crust. I didn't quite use a whole can on each crust, but I used 3/4 of it.



Add the eggs and sausage, top with bacon and canadian bacon.



Top with shredded cheese...



Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes from frozen (do not thaw). If you don't freeze it, I would start watching at 15 minutes.


And here is the lake breakfast of champions....coffee and skinnier breakfast pizza. My oven there is gas, not electric, so it wasn't exceptionally cooked since the oven didn't get as hot as I would like, but I brought leftovers home and crisped them up in a pizza oven and it took the pizza to a whole new level. Me thinks this stuff is going to be a common freezer item at the Casa de Stensland Numero Dos...and I wonder why my wedding dress still doesn't fit like it should?  When Main Man asks "Did you really make this?" I suppose it means I did something right though.  Happy Thursday, all!




Pin It


41 comments:

  1. I miss Casey's pizza!! This breakfast pizza looks awesome - adding it to my must try list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can ever move out of Iowa for that very reason, Desiree!

      Delete
    2. We have Casey's in Kansas too...and YES, their pizza is the best! I just wish I could have some....but I'm on a Gluten Free diet right now!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm I so love your recipes! I have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This pizza is very worth it! Let me know how you like it :)

      Delete
  3. This pizza sounds great but just a thought...homemade crusts are pretty easy, much tastier, and definitely healthier than the cardboard ones from grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely correct! I grabbed pre-made crusts because I was making food for a whole weekend at the lake and wanted the easiest, quickest route possible...but if I do it now, I have made homemade crusts and they are much better. Either one will work in a pinch though :)

      Delete
  4. we have it here in Kansas too...love it :) and will have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  5. They use egg and milk for the sauce if I remember correctly. It has been a few years since I worked there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i work for caseys and the sauce is literally liquid cheddar cheese from a big can..and we dont put canadian bacon on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make white sausage gravy (base of biscuits & gravy) and use that for the "sauce" for my breakfast pizzas.. it is incredibly tasty! But can't wait to try the soup as a new twist!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I managed a Casey's for 5 years. The canned cheese at Sam's club next to the #10 cans of nacho cheese sauce is the exact stuff they buy for cheese sauce. There are never Canadian bacon slices on the Casey's pizza unless you specifically ask for it because Canadian bacon is expensive and Casey's quality controls it. Also, the cheese on top is mozzarella with a sprinkling of cheddar. If
    you want your pizza crust to be close to correct, find a pizza pan with holes in it for the air to circulate on the crust. They do make their dough from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does anyone have a recipe for Casey's regular cheese pizza? Dough recipe? What kind of cheese do they use? Sauce? Ahhhh!! lol. I used to buy it all the time when I lived in Illinois, but now I moved and the closest Casey's is hours away! I used to love getting just a regular ol cheese pizza from there. Please help!! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!!

      Delete
    2. Mozzarella. Thank me later

      Delete
    3. Casey's BBQ Beef pizza has been my family's go-to for my whole life. '

      Delete
  9. OMG i only got to be in Iowa for 6 weeks and fell in love with their pizza and now back home we don't have Casey's here and i have been craving for half a year now!!!!!! this makes me happy to find this! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try using the nacho cheese (liquid) and mozzarella cheese is the key and top it off with a little cheddar cheese

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where in Montezuma did you have better pizza? I live very close to there and I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Has anyone tried this recipe? How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are also in Indiana,Kentucky and Tennessee and this is the best breakfast pizza. I have my husband in live with it now

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can also use the Velvetta cheese in a pouch instead of soup or nacho cheese sauce. One pouch works for 1 pizza.

    ReplyDelete