Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Mozzarella and potato pie

The 3rd edition of what we ate for Thanksgiving highlights mozzpot pie. I made that up, can you tell? For some reason when you say mozzarella and potato pie it doesn't sound too appetizing...but when you say mozzpot pie, it sounds interesting and worth a try. No? Too bad, that's what we're calling it.
 
I brought this to the Jamison side Thanksgiving as my contribution, and I thought the flavor was great, but if not piping hot when consumed, the cheese get's perdy stringy and hard to cut through. Moral of the story? Don't bring this to a potluck, but do make this at home for your family to eat the second it comes out of the oven. I may have a problem with fresh mozzarella cheese where I like to curl it around a fork like pasta...but doesn't everyone? Add the seasoned to perfection creaminess of the potatoes to fill in the gaps and the tomato juice leaked into everything and these flavors are up there for me...way up there. But you can decide for yourself...if you're not a cheese person (first of all, we can't be friends) this may not be for you.
 
2 lb potatoes
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella (they call for balls, I used slices, but balls might work best to prevent the hunks of melted cheese)
1/2 cup fresh parmesan, grated
3 tomatoes
1 oz butter
1/4 cup milk
1 t oregano
1 t basil
salt and pepper to taste
 
Peel and boil the potatoes in calted water for 25 minutes, until completely tender. I never peel my mashed potatoes as I like the little pieces of skin mixed in there...but you do as you wish.
 
Add the butter and milk and mash them. Season them with salt and pepper and then spread them into the bottom of your 9x13 baking dish.
 
Thinly slice the mozzarella and tomatoes and layer all of them on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the basil and oregano over the top and throw it in the oven (covered) for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees. Uncover and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve steaming hot!
 

I didn't get a picture of the dish after it was baked because we were in the midst of the assembly line of yummy food that Thanksgiving is all about...just imagine that cheese all melty and that should do it. Now...for my tongue to get that picture out of it's brain so it will stop leaking drool all over my mouth...


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment