Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Potato thyme crusted cod

I know there's a few more Fridays to go for Lent season, so if you're looking for a tasty non-heathen meal this week...I've got your back! Have I mentioned that I won the husband jackpot? Oh, I have? And its getting really annoying? OK, I'll stop....after today.

Picture this: I get home late from Kosama and sit at the kitchen table pounding green bell peppers in hummus to catch my blood sugar up from the recent tuckas-whooping plyometrics day just handed me. I don't feel like standing much to cook, let alone unloading the dishwasher and all that jazz. I must've looked like a hot mess (emphasis on the mess, not the hot) with my hair all sweated back and all the mixins for dinner laying out, but sitting untouched. Main Man walks in, takes one look, and says "What's for dinner? I'll make it tonight." And then the clouds parted and my angel floated in from above (or outside) and made me fish for dinner. The end.

He just knows when he needs to step in and help a chica out...because usually it takes a lot for me to sit back and watch him cook, and he knows that. Cooking dinner time is my relaxing, end of the day, wind down period that I actually love. Who knows if that will ever wear off...but I do have my days where I would rather go hungry than cook dinner. And I'm thankful that I have a partner who picks up the slack on those rare occasions...sorry, folks, I'm not sharing him!



All you need:

*3/4 cup buttermilk (we used skim milk)
2 T grated lemon peel (we used 1 t lemon juice as a substitute)
1 t Dijon mustard
*1 cup instant potato flakes (we used garlic flavored)
1 t dried thyme
*6 cod fillets
*3 T olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while you work on the cod. We actually altered the recipe and used 1/3 of some of the amounts called for since we only did two fillets of fish (the items we took down by a third are starred in the recipe above, the rest we left the same as the recipe for 6 fillets called for). In a shallow dish, combine buttermilk, lemon peel, and mustard. In a separate shallow dish combine potato flakes, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Dip fillets into milk mixture and then into potato flakes, pressing to coat completely.

 
In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add fillets and cook 2 minutes per side or until golden, turning only once.
 

Transfer to a greased baking dish and bake fillets 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. This was seriously good, people. We're very used to baking fish, but throwing it in with some olive oil beforehand was key. Awesome flava flav in that crust too...and the whole process really didn't take long at all, even if this pile of sweaty gym clothes and hair wasn't too motivated to get it started. We had leftover twice baked cauliflower, which is a favorite in our joint, to serve as a ready made side dish...and all was right with the world. A little couch time with the hubs after dinner and I was ready to hit the gym and the kitchen the next day...



This recipe was one I found on Hy-Vee's website so it had fat stats listed...love when I have this info provided and have quite a few good ones printed to try from them in the future.

Fat stats (per cod fillet):
Calories: 267
Carbs: 6 g
Cholesterol: 59 mg
Fat: 9 g
Protein: 39 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Sodium: 229 mg

Apparently Main Man should be having under 200 mg of cholesterol per day to lower his numbers (normal numbered people can have 300 mg per day although the average American male consumes 337 mg per day and average American female takes in 217 mg per day)...so this meal fits just fine with the rest of his daily diet. The olive oil used also contains good fat to raise his HDL numbers. We're learning as we go over here, people...hopefully you are learning from our journey too!



Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment