Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Caribbean shrimp and asparagus quinoa

This recipe came to me as a mixture of caribbean shrimp and rice and this mango salsa. Don't ask me how. Things like this just happen to me. I've had a couple mangos in the fridge for a bit planning on making seafood to cover in this phenomenal fruit salsa but for some reason I wasn't ever craving it. They were getting to the brink of going bad when I thought I could somehow work some quinoa in with them...I'm fricking obsessed, dudes. Like batshit crazy obsessed. Like dream about it at night obsessed. Like I made 3 quinoa meals in one night that had been floating around in my brain and froze them obsessed. It's bad. I don't think there are any QA (quinoaholics anonymous) meetings in my area, but if you hear of any, let a girl know.

1 minced jalapeno
2 mangos, diced
1 bag uncooked shrimp, deveined and detailed, or whatever you call it when you only have the poppable shrimpies left
2 cups quinoa, rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
1 bunch asparagus, cut up
1 McCormick Caribbean citrus seafood marinade (blue packet in the spice aisle)
1 T olive oil

Cook the quinoa per usual in the chicken broth,  until it has soaked up most all of the liquid and grown to twice the amount you started with. In a separate skillet, heat the olive oil and saute shrimp, asparagus, mangos, and jalapenos until the shrimp is cooked through and pink. Mix your seafood marinade with water (it calls for oil but I skipped that part) and pour over the shrimp mixture to season. After cooking for about 2 minutes, add the shrimp mixture to the prepared quinoa and mix throughly. Go ahead and serve it now, while the flavas are punching you in the face. 

If you want to freeze it like I did, add it to a 13x9 pan, throw it in the freezer, and thaw it when you're ready to cook it. Bake at 400 degrees until warmed through, you might need to add some chicken broth for the quinoa to soak up if it's dry. You now have a full healthy, smack your head against a wall meal in your freezer to pull out and enjoy any day you don't feel like cooking. Screw QA, I'm happy with my quinoa problem. And you will be too after trying this....this stuff is gooooooooood. Main man ate a whole bowl full before he would let me freeze it!


 



Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment