Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Italian stuffed zucchini

Oh, man, you guys. It's been a rough one, I tell ya! The long weekend was great, but I may have celebrated ISU's first win of the season a little too heartily. I also seem to be having a nasty bout with my allergies this week. I'm talking ice pick to the ear, throat swelling up type of shizz. It's super fun. But not to worry, I decided to come back to you all...I could never leave you :)
 
This recipe was made for us at the lake a few weeks ago by Dani, the neighbor...remember, she's the one who makes the WIDZ? Yeah, well it turns out she's also a pro at zucchini. And then Mallory brought me two of the biggest honkers you've ever seen from her garden, and I was all whispering in the veggie's ears "I know exactly what's happening to you two" and then laughing an evil witch cackle. I have fun.
 
Anywho...get zee ingredients and get started!
 
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats (adapted from skinnytaste.com)
Servings: 8 • Size: 1 boat • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 153 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 12.8 g • Carb: 9 g • Fiber: 2 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 372 mg

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups marinara sauce
  • 4 (31 oz total) medium zucchini
  • 1/2 small onion, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1 lb ground turkey  
  • 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella (Polly-O)
  • 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 T italian seasoning
  • 1/2 can mushrooms

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4" thick.

Brown your turkey and add mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, italian seasoning to the skillet to cook. When done, add marinara sauce and parmesan cheese. Scoop mixture into zucchini shells and cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle fressh mozzarella on top for 10 minutes more cook time. Slice and serve!
 
 
I mean...even the boys were raving about these.  And you know that's like getting a 2 year old to like their veggies. Oh, did I just say that? I didn't mean it, fellas! Honest...
 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment