Monday, April 15, 2013

Chicken and pesto stuffed alfredo shells

You know how I always tell you when a recipe is bad? I don't want you getting all jacked up about something, drooling over pictures, go to the store to get ingredients, spend time cooking, and then go into a deep depression because it flopped. That wouldn't be good for any of us, now would it? Well, I'm here to tell you today that this recipe does NOT suck and you should most definitely make this...soon. I feel I should be just as forceful with my "do make this" recommendations as I am with my "don't make this" advice. So here it is: make this, and make this soon. Main Man will vouch, and he'll vouch hard. He's a man of few words around good food, but what I could get from his mumbles between mouthfuls was all good. He actually asked me to make this again. That doesn't happen too often in a bloggers house...I have to keep the recipes a comin' you know. He knows a repeat dinner is a seldom occurrence, so he must really have liked this.
 
And guess what! You'll never guess. It has pesto in it...and he loved it!! My work here is done. I've finally broken him. I've continually tried to sneak it into his diet before with some of my favorites, pesto shrimp gnocchi being my most recent try. It didn't work. So you have no idea how excited I was that he loved this dish so much...especially since I just threw it together with stuff I had in the house. I think the turkey pepperoni was a big part of the success...gave it a little extra oomph in the flava flav department. This meal would be great for kids and husbands alike...give it a shot!
 
1 container of pesto
1 container of fat free cream cheese
1/2 package turkey pepperoni, snipped into small pieces
2 large chicken breasts, baked and shredded
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t italian seasoning
16 large pasta shells, boiled, drained, and cooled
1 jar light alfredo sauce (I used Classico)
 
I like the Buitoni brand but you can buy whatever kind you like. You can also make it yourself like I do in the Summer months when I have a full basil plant giving me love on the deck. Click the link above for the gnocchi recipe to get the directions on how to make your own pesto. It's a staple in the warmer months...and so easy!
 

Turkey pepperoni is the bomb dizzy...no grease, not much fat or cals, and awesome peppy taste. Try it if you haven't yet, our household is fully converted.


Mix all your ingredients up thoroughly (besides the shells and the alfredo sauce) and stuff your shells with the mixture.

 
Lay your stuffed masterpieces in a greased baking dish and cover with alfredo sauce when all are finished. I topped with some extra hits of italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and fresh black pepper. Cover with tin foil and throw in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until warmed through. Or put it in the fridge and throw it in for dinner for a quick weeknight pasta fix like I did.
 
 
These were sooooo rich and creamy...they just tasted decadent. There's no other way to put it. I hope you get to put some in your mouth soon so we can talk about it.
 

I'm starting the week off pretty well in my book...got all my meals made for the week yesterday all my evenings are open to hit the gym and get other household fun done while dinner cooks each night. That's the "I win" card right there. Happy Monday, all!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment