Thursday, April 25, 2013

Steak and asparagus stir fry

I had a crockpot meal to share with you today but the weather outside made me feel Springy and the crockpot doesn't make me feel Springy. Not that stirfry is particularly Springy, but you know what I mean. Maybe you don't know what I mean. And maybe you're sick of reading the word Springy. Either way, you get steak and asparagus stir fry today, and you're going to eat it and like it. Do you like how I sound like Big Dan (my dad)? Springy.
 
Main Man was perdy lovey on this stirfry the night we had it. The Campbells Skillet Sauces Fire Roasted Tomato packet was a total experiment, but sure made things easy peasy in the heazy. Could I be any more annoying today? Sorry, I get froggy when the weather turns awesome. Point of the story is...try these. I have a toasted sesame one I'm wanting to give a go at, but the marsala and the creamy chipotle look mighty tasty as well. The last two have a little more in the caloric department so I passed them by, but I may give them a try if they're all as good as the fire roasted tomato one we devoured, I mean taste tested.
 
Here's what you need:
 
1 lb flank steak, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 T olive oil
1 bundle of asparagus
1 can mushrooms
1 bag Uncle Ben's ready rice, flavor of your choosing (I went with brown and wild)
1 Campbells Skillet Sauces, fire roasted tomato flavored
 

Add the olive oil to a large pan, and warm. Add full steak to the skillet to brown on medium heat. Cut the hard ends off the asparagus and then cut the stems in half so they're a little shorter. Makes it easier to jam into your mouth, ya know? It's always key to be able to jam things in your mouth quickly when you're eating. At least at our house...

Add the asparagus to the skillet as well. Continue moving it around, flip the steak after about 8 minutes. You don't want to overdo flank steak or it gets really tough, you want to leave some pinky pink the middle there.


After 5-8 minutes on each side, remove the steak and slice it into bite sized pieces. Add all of it back to the skillet and add the sauce package to mix and marry everything together. Wedded bliss. Just like Main Man and I :)

Add the Ready Rice to the microwave for 90 seconds to cook like the package says, and then throw it into the skillet to stir and fry together. Because that's what stir fry is, ya'll. Stirring and frying. And marrying. Bliss, remember?


After the nuptials, you serve! I used a little soy sauce because I like to spoon drink the stuff, but you don't need it. There is a little bite to the sauce, a little crunch to the asparagus, a little love juice from the steak, and a whole lot of good flava flav coming out of that skillet there. I'm tellin' ya.


I actually tracked the recipe ingredients and broke them down per serving with MyFitnessPal and it comes out to 754 calories for a huge helping of 3 cups. I realize that sounds like a lot for some people, but when I'm done throwing down 675 calories at Kosama, I need me some meat and I need piles of it. This ends our Campbells experiment, don't worry though, I'll share the next one with you too!  Now get outside and love on this weather a little, if you're an Iowan like me! We've been waiting for this....


Pin It