Friday, December 16, 2011

Grandma's oreo ice cream freeze

My grandma's ice cream dessert is better than your grandma's ice cream dessert!!  I don't remember a year when this wasn't available at the holiday family gathering...so of course I requested she make it for our first time hosting Thanksgiving at our place. Justin had never had it, but he understood immediately why I spoke so highly of it after he tried it. He actually was hoping Grandma had forgotten the container in the freezer and went looking for it later that weekend!  I've never actually made this before, but now that I've conned the recipe out of her, there is no question that this will become one of my signature dishes...passed down from my Grandma Theda :)

1 Pound Oreo Cookies
2 sticks margarine
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
2 squares chocolate (2 Hershey bars should work)
1/4 cup sugar
1 large container cool whip
chocolate chips


Crush cookies; mix with one stick margarine, press into bottom of cold cut keeper ; freeze. Soften 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream enough to spread over crumb mixture; freeze. Make a sauce with 2 squares chocolate,1/4 cup sugar, the other stick of margarine. Bring to a boil, don’t overcook, cool. When ice cream is frozen spread chocolate sauce over it ; refreeze. Spread large cool whip over top; sprinkle with nuts or small chocolate chips. Cover and freeze.


This picture does not do the layers of this dessert justice...oreos are my fave so maybe that has something to do with my love for this dish.  You really can't get much better than this.  Thanks for sharing, Grandma!! Love you :)

Pin It


2 comments:

  1. what's a ”cold cut keeper”?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that's what my grandmother calls a 9x13 tupperware container :)

      Delete