Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Skinny taters

They don't look all that great in this photo...and they weren't all that great in real life, to be honest. I made the mistake of calling these skinny cheesy potatoes before serving them and they were anything but cheesy...which is disappointing to my buds of taste that trust me so much. I really had high hopes for this...like, really high. I love potatoes, we've discussed this before and you can witness it first hand by checking out the baked garlic parsley fries, the crack potatoes, the twice baked potato casserole, the crockpot ranch potatoes, the bacon ranch potato salad, and the bacon ranch grilled taters. Try to digest all of those recipes through the pictures and tell me your mouth isn't watering your garden right now....

So I really thought I had hit the jackpot with a lightened up version of cheesy potatoes...like I had hopes high enough to match my feelings about the twice baked cauliflower, which I was literally obsessed with...there was talk of needing therapy I was so enthralled with the cauliflower for potatoes substitution! You can imagine my disappointment when these smelled SO great cooking on the grill, looked SO great while I was making them, and then tasted like nothing when they got to my plate. What happened??  Don't ask me...I'll give you the recipe in case you want to give it a go and find out what I did wrong...but I also felt the need to give you actually good tater recipes above to check out so you don't have to go into a depression after this flopasaurus like I did.

1 bag frozen hashbrowns
1/2 can low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 cups plain greek yogurt
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 t black pepper
1 t italian seasoning
1 t salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients and layer into a greased 9x13 baking  pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or throw on your grill covered in foil). Cook for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly....and then try not to be disappointed. I'm not sure what would help these, it's not like they were bad, they were just bland. Maybe double the spices? Maybe add a ranch packet in there? Maybe I shouldn't have tried it on the grill? Maybe more cheese?  That sort of defeats the purpose of "skinny" taters but what purpose do bland taters have in this world we live in?  If anyone can help a girl out, I'm open to suggestions....I do know that The Spotted Lamb seemed to really love the recipe, so we either have very different tastes or I did something very wrong...either way, may the force be with you and your taters if you give this a shot!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment