Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chicken broccoli rice casserole

I've been making variations of this dish for years...it's like the first thing I learned to make on my own. I was so proud of myself. Everyone seemed to like it...and I made a flipping casserole!!! So grown up, I was. It was like a new beginning when I was in college and made something besides spagetti or tacos (those were the only things I knew how to work with after I left home, pretty much). I'm sure you all remember the timeframe in your lives where you left the box, and started wanting more than takeout or pasta...it was life changing for me. What was your first "real meal" cooking experience that you remember?

Anywho...I used to make this allllll the time. So I got sick of it for a while once I started exploring cooking at home even more. But it popped into my head the other day, and I had to throw it together for old time's sake. It's even easier than I remember...super yummy, and not to mention kid friendly as well!

Let's get this party started....

4 large chicken breasts, seasoned, baked, and diced into bite sized pieces
3 bags long grain wild rice (I use this stuff)
3 cups broccoli, chopped small
1 can mushrooms
8 oz fat free cream cheese
1 cup skim milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
fresh cracked pepper to taste

Mix everything up in a mixing bowl (don't cook the rice or broccoli first, it will cook while it bakes), spread it into a 9x13 baking dish (save a little cheese for the top if you wish...and I wished). Bake while covered at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, or until heated throughout. Serve with a veggie side or all by itself...that's up to you and your cohorts. I chose to include a side of our frozen sweet corn that we make each year, so we don't have to be without it after the season is over. Serve while steaming hot, close your eyes, and take in all the comfort of the casserole....you won't be disappointed.  Happy Tuesday, all!!



Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Making this. Tonight. Pretty sure my first "real" meal was grilled chicken. Pretty original, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good! Would you like to follow each other?

    Much Love,
    http://amyklundt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete