Monday, November 5, 2012

Skinny loaded baked potato soup

Things to make life easier, from me to you:

1. Good pots and pans make a happy cook...I never knew what a difference nice pots and pans made until we got some using gift cards from our wedding. Wowza.

2. Making soup is a freaking spectacular way to use up old veggies. I've had leftover veggies from veggie trays at get-togethers a lot recently. I haaaaate (like literally loathe) throwing out good food. That's the problem with my garden actually...I have so much extra, and there's no way I can use it all even if I cooked day in and day out. I tried to find a place to donate, but the food banks around here don't take produce. Something about the FDA approval and produce going bad quickly...whatev. Anyway, long story short...I hate to waste veggies. So I put them in soup. The end.

3. If you want to bake potatoes faster than lightning, use the microwave. I don't know why I never knew this before. I always used to bake them for an hour in the oven wrapped in foil. No more. See instructions below, and copy them every time you bake a tater. You're welcome.

4. Get a microwave cover thingy (see below). I grabbed one (total impulse buy in the checkout lane) a couple weeks ago and can't even explain to you how much it changed my life. My brother has been living with us for a month, and with Main Man working long hours, it seems no one has the time to cover their shizz when reheating dinner. Enter splatter guard. Leave it in the microwave, and they use it! They actually use it! Can you hear the angels singing in the background?


5. Make soups on the weekends. It's so calming to have soup stewing on the stove while you go about surfing the internet and drinking hot chocolate doing laundry and dishes like a good wife. I now have 6 soups frozen in my freezer. I may need to open a soup kitchen for the holidays to get rid of my stock. This was one of the better and easier soups to make that I've done recently, so it's a good one to start with if you need a beginner soup. I'm here for you.

4 large russet potatoes, washed and dried (or the equivelant of that in small yellow potatoes like I used)
1 small head of cauliflower
3 cups fat free chicken broth
3 cups skim milk
1 cup greek yogurt
8 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese (freshly grated melts best)
6 T chopped green onions or chives
7 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (could use turkey bacon)

Pierce potatoes with a fork and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn over and microwave another 5 minutes, until tender. Cut potatoes into small, bite-sized pieces with a knife.


Steam cauliflower with water in a lare covered pot until tnder. Drain and pulse in food processor with 1 cup of chicken broth. Add back to pot. Add remaining chicken broth as well as all other ingredients. Add salt and cracked pepper to taste and allow to simmer and mix for 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, chives, etc on top...or don't, it's no skin off my potatoes.




Main Man came home that Saturday afternoon for a little break from working and grabbed the bowl below after I finished photographing. Ate the whole thing. I'd say that's a raving review since he had already had lunch.

 
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Just waiting for temps to drop below 90 (yes, 90!) to make soup. P.s. I LOVE your soup bowl and serving plate, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you're making me jealous! I haaaate Winter...but Fall and soups are fine :) I got a bunch of new dishes for the wedding to spruce up my photographs...thanks! I just wish it wasnt dark each evening when I get home so I could photograph with natural light like I can on the weekends...makes such a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you'd pop by my blog and follow me back.

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining! Looking forward to checking out your site!

      Delete