Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Crockpot chicken cordon bleu

Main Man has been having a rough go of it this month, I tell ya! He was sick for about 2 weeks, I think it was the flu, but it was at least the respiratory kind where you can still leave the house without worry, even if you don't feel good doing it. He was great for about a week and woke up this morning with the stomach flu, I do believe. Poor kid dropped his phone in the couch and it got squished in the inner workings of the recliner, so now he is home sick without a phone to let me know he's ok or he needs something all day. I do realize this is the definition of a first world problem but I don't like him being incommunicado when he's under the weather...I'm a worry wart.
 
This recipe is one of the comfort food requests he made during his last sickness, so I guess it's fitting that I post this again today. This was super simple, done when I got home so I could take care of my patient instead of cooking dinner, and had the down home taste of something mama would make you when you're sick. What did you request when you were sick? I always wanted my mom's homemade chicken noodle soup...I have some frozen in the freezer so when I am sick now I can just pull some out for myself. Anyway...if you have a sicky on your hands, go ahead and make them a little dose of this and see what happens, sounds like there's a lot of it going around this year!
 
I found this recipe on the Six Sisters Stuff blog...and have a bunch more of their recipes pinned to try soon. What a great idea for siblings to say in touch!?
 
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free)
1 cup milk (I use skim)
4 oz sliced ham
4 oz sliced swiss cheese (I used 2%)
1 (8 oz) package herbed dry bread stuffing mix (I used a box of turkey stuffing I had leftover from Thanksgiving in my cupboard)
1/4 cup butter, melted (I omitted this part, it seemed like extra calories for no reason)
 
Mix together the soup and milk in a sall bowl. Pour enough of the soup into the slow cooker to cover the bottom. Layer chicken breasts over the top of the sauce and cover with slices of ham and swiss cheese. Spread the remaining soup on top. Sprinkle the stuffing on top (drizzle butter on top of that layer if you're using it), and cover. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours. I generally have Main Man start the crockpot on high 3 hours before dinner when we're doing chicken.
 
We obviously had leftovers but Main Man loved this dish so much he ate the same leftovers for lunches that whole week. Now that's something to write home about...
 

Served with a side of frozen sweet corn and over a bed of wild rice. This dinner is best enjoyed in front of a warm fire with a blanket wrapped around you. Stay healthy, my friends!



Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment