Friday, February 15, 2013

Jerk spiced tilapia

I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day yesterday! I had a sick Main Man on my hands but he still managed to get me some gorgeous yellow tulips that are just getting ready to open up and bloom their bloominess to me, aaaaaand the meat grinder attachment to my Kitchenaid mixer that I've been eyeing...doesn't sound very romantic to most ladies but the dude sure knows his wifey well :) We ate his first full meal since Monday night together and that was an accomplishment, I think he's finally kicked this thing!
 
First Friday of Lent post, so it has to be fish, right?? We actually aren't Catholic so we don't practice Lent in our home, but I do like to eat a good amount of seafood so I will try to keep you Catholics in the know on our best seafood dishes throughout the next few weeks. Here are a few of our favorites (read: constant repeats in the rotation) for you to work your way through...
 
 
That list was meant to be a few items long but I kept seeing new ones..."OMG I forgot about that one! I'll have to make that soon, it has to be on the Lent list!"  I tried to start with my favorites but they got jumbled up after a bit...but I will say the top two are probably still my top two that I've made lately. So. Flipping. Good. And both are super easy although they sound super fancy...and that's a pretty stellar combo. Anyway, there are a bunch more seafood options under the "Seafood" tab if you look at the list to the right of the page. Go check 'em out if none of the above struck your fancy!
 
Since we were in St. Thomas and Main Man had the jerk chicken, anything with the jerk spice has been on my radar...this one set off the "we have to do this...now" alarm. So we did this...now. And it was everything I dreamed it would be. I think tilapia might be the most prepared fish in our home, as Main Man isn't a fan of salmon (which is an issue for me because I love the stuff and want to eat it once a week). But tilapia is a favorite of both of us, so it's a staple round here. So, let's get this Lent party started!!!
 
1 t thyme
1 t chili powder
2 cloves garlic
1 g ground ginger
1/2 nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon (I might leave that out next time, or just use a dash)
1 jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 t freshly ground black pepper
pinch of sea salt
1 T olive oil
1/2 t ground cloves (I omitted this as I didn't have it on hand)
4 tilapia filets
 
Combine the herbs and spices in a small bowl and mix well. Coat tilapia filets with olive oil and pat both sides with spices. The recipe calls to saute each filet until just cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. But I like to bake my fish rather than pan fry it, most of the time. So I threw mine into a baking dish and cooked for 20 minutes at 375 degrees until the fish flaked easily. Do not overcook or it will be terribly dry! 
 
 
 
 
And this is your end result...not a bad way to start the season of giving up meat on Fridays. What else are you giving up this year?
 
 

Fat Stats: (per filet)
Calories: 160
Protein: 20 g
Carbs: 0 g
Fiber: 1 g
Fat: 8 g


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment