Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bacon ranch potato salad

I found this recipe a while ago and REALLY wanted to make it for the 4th of July but I had enough food on the list to feed an army already.  So I waited to make this for my contribution for our trip to WeFest in Twin Lakes, MN.  I needed a special occasion to make this so that I wasnt found in the fridge with my face buried in the bowl of leftovers for a week.  Me and potato salad have a thing...well, me and potatoes have a thing.  It's not something to be messed with, and it's been with me all my life.  My dad used to call me "potato ass" when I was younger...I think it was because I would pass up ice cream and sweets for potatoes served any style...I hope it wasn't a reference to my actual tushy as that doesn't sound very flattering. 

Anyway, I've made the standard potato salad a lot and loved the idea of this one when I saw it.  Who doesn't like bacon? Who doesn't like ranch?  Point made. Anywho...from one potato ass to another...try this.  You will not regret it.

2 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 T salt
1/4 cup mayo (I used fat free)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
2-3 T chopped chives
2-3 T chopped parsley
1 small green onion
1 clove minced garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup buttermilk
black pepper
4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked to a crisp (turkey bacon would work but I used Wilber since we had some thawed from Justin's man breakfast in bed he made me last weekend after RAGBRAI)

Throw your taters in a pot....I doubled the recipe so this should look like twice the amount you have if you are following these instructions.


Cover with 1-2 inches cold water and add 1 T salt.

Whisk mayo, sour cream, chives, parsley, green onion, garlic, lemon, and buttermilk together in a small bowl...salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until ready to use....should look like so:



Bring taters to a boil and reduce heat to medium, cooking until they are fork tender (8-10 minutes).  I cooked my bacon while they were boiling.  Drain them and transfer them to a serving bowl to cool.  Let them cool for 5-10 minutes (they should be warm but not steaming hot). 

Pour half of the ranch dressing you set aside over the potatoes and toss.  Refrigerate for about an hour, until cold and then toss with remaining dressing and crumbled bacon.  I also added cherubs so it has a BLT flavor...and it turned out pretty well, although its not too pretty to look at since I plan on throwing it in the RV and not putting it in a pretty serving dish.  You lose. 


Anyway, it's pretty good...and is a good change up from the traditional potato salad if you're sick of that by this time in the Summer since it's a staple in most picnics or get-togethers.  You could add some eggs in there as well, the recipe didn't call for it but I will next time and I'm sure it will be delish (but we have an egg-hater in our midst this weekend so I didn't want to scare her away). 

No posts again until next week, Im planning on enjoying some country music and trying to get rid of my permanent biker shorts tan from RAGBRAI!


Pin It


1 comment: