Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Stovetop chili mac

I'll be the first to say that this wasn't my favorite meal, nor was it Justin's.  It probably won't make it to our menu rotation.  But it's always good to try new things, that's how you discover the best recipes!  There wasn't anything particularly wrong with this, it had decent flavor and it was pretty healthy...it just wasn't our cup of tea.  We like creamier, saucier pastas...this was good but just not something I would ever crave.  We all have different tastes though so some of you out there may love the stuff! It would be great for people with kids I would think, or people who do not like spicy food, or people who really love chili. 

I had this saved to use as a zucchini recipe but am done with my zucchini crop so I omitted that part, but you are more than welcome to include it.  I have discovered lately how great wheat rigatoni is though so it will be making more appearances in my cooking even if this particular recipe won't...

1/2 box rigatoni (I used wheat)
3 garlic cloves
2t of chili or cayenne powder (optional)
1 small yellow onion, diced (I used dehydrated onions my mom had given me since I didn't have any fresh at the moment)
1 lb lean as you can get hamburger (97/3)
2t ground cumin
1 can of corn
1 can black beans (not in the recipe, I added this to bulk it up since I didn't have zucchini)
1 small zucchini
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
shredded cheddar cheese

Cook the hamburger like normal in your skillet, and when it is browned add all your veggies, spices, and garlic...


While doing this, boil your water and cook your rigatoni on another burner...


Drain the noodles and add the sauce to the pot...mixing throughly.  Serve topped with shredded cheese. It was good for one meal and I was completely satisfied afterwards, just not something I want to fight over the leftovers for or put on my make again list when I have sooooo many other recipes printed out to try...


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment