Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Creamy italian chicken with orzo

Not much time to cook or to blog lately so this will be a quick one.  Wefest was out of this world fun....great music, awesome fat kid food, sunny weather, and fun friends!  My favorites were Miranda Lambert (such an awesome entertainer), Blake Shelton, and Lynard Skynard (would love to see them again).  We saw Brad Paisley, Sugarland, Rascall Flatts, Willie Nelson, Charlie Daniels Band, Easton Corbin, and a few more too...

After getting back from TWO back to back vacations (I dont know why I take non-relaxing vacations as I always need a vaca when I get back to recoop), I am having a tough time getting back on schedule with a routine.  I started softball last night and will continue to have that on Monday nights from here on out....last night's game was at 8 pm!  So I wanted to have dinner ready for me the minute I got home, because Im not a eat dinner and then go work out type of girl.  A crockpot meal was perfect for this...

Ive been meaning to make this for a while since it looked so easy and I always have all the stuff on hand, but Summer is not the optimal time for crockpot meals.  I want to be outside and grill or have a nice cold salad instead of eating a warm, hearty meal from the crockpot. This was adapted from a recipe on a blog I follow at http://www.babiesandbroccoli.blogspot.com/

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese...I used fat free
1 can cream of chicken soup...I used 98% fat free
1 can mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1 T Italian seasoning
*I also added a couple cups of brocolli that I had in the fridge and needed to be cooked

Add all of the above ingredients to your crockpot and cook on low for 3-4 hours.

2 cups chicken broth
1/2 box of orzo

When crockpot is almost ready to serve, boil chicken broth and add the orzo.  Boil for 2 minutes, then let simmer to soak up the broth.  Mix orzo into the crockpot with the creamy chicken mixture....and serve!


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment