Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cuban flank steak salad

I've been searching for some good flank steak recipes since I've heard it's one of the best cuts of red meat you can get, healthwise and cost-wise. Who doesn't love cheap and healthy? This is one of 2 recipes I'm giving a shot to, and I was not even slightly disappointed! I got this from a blog I found on Pinterest, go check it out at www.KalynsKitchen.com!

1 large piece of flank steak
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 t ground cumin
1 t dried oregano
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1 T soy sauce
1/2 t ground chile powder

Mix all the ingredients up into a marinade and let the flank steak love it up overnight. Let the meat come to room temperature before grilling, and grill 4-5 minutes per side for a rare to medium rare cut of meat. I wouldn't cook flank steak more than medium or it will be pretty tough. Let the meat rest 4-5 minutes before slicing so you don't lose all the yumtastical juiciness....

Here are all the ingredients I used for the salad...basically just whatever a search of my cupboards turned up...and they all worked great with the flavors of the marinated meat! The feta gave it a nice saltiness, the crispy jalapenos put forth a small bite to it, the almonds were a nice crunch, and who can have a salad without cherry tomatoes??


I then used white balsamic vinegar and regular old olive oil as my salad dressing. Let me tell you: this is still my favorite combo.  The white balsamic doesn't have the bitter bite to it that normal balsamic does.  Justin even loved this and he never does the oil and vinegar thing with me!


I love when I find a salad that is totally filling, super yummy, and stays with me all night so I'm not hungry later....and this is it! This marinade was perfect, it gave the meat tons of flavor without being overpowering. I will be making this again...and again...and again. 





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment