Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Turkey and wild rice casserole

This was a throw-together of a recipe I think I've seen before, but I'm not quite sure where. I believe it was when I was looking for ways to get rid of excess turkey after Thanksgiving, and it just popped in my head when I saw the frozen turkey from our Christmas in March the other day. That turkey was injected and roasted all day to perfection, so there was no way I was throwing it out (we had a 24 lb bird thanks to the Hofers)!

I'm sure there was more to the recipe, but I remember thinking it sounded super easy to just add alfredo sauce to rice and turkey for a nice casserole...and I improvised on the snap peas and the mushrooms.  Gotta get your veggies somehow :)

2 packages Uncle Ben's wild rice
1 jar light alfredo sauce
1 bag leftover turkey, shredded
1 can mushrooms
3 cups sugar snap peas
fresh cracked pepper

Mix everything together well and layer into baking dish.  Sprinkle with plain bread crumbs if you have them, and cook at 400 degrees until heated through.



This was very "down home casserole-y" if I had to find a phrase to describe it. It tasted like comfort food, was creamy and filling, but I always like a little kick in my food so this wasn't my favorite meal ever. I would recommend it for picky eaters or people who like the comfort casserole genre of cooking, and I will use the recipe again with leftover turkey if the time comes...but I do have some other recipes to give a go with the rest of this bird, so you'll be seeing more of these in the future!



Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment