Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Skinny meatball subs

This recipe came from my lady crush, Kristin over at Iowa Girl Eats, who inspires a lot of my cooking my her beautiful photos and mouthwatering descriptions of her recipes. I am a tweaker though...wait, that sounds bad. I tweak recipes...I inevitably sub something for something or go with light or fat free version of whatever, or skip something I don't like. This recipe was the exception to that rule. I've never made meatballs and figure consistency and ingredients are very important for a non-fall-apart-y meatball that will stick to it's guns and then stick to your ribs. So I followed the recipe word. for. word. And WOWZA, am I glad I did!

Shout out to Mallory for all the zucchini she's been sharing with me from her garden, I didn't grow any this year and that was a big mistake...she's been very graciously sharing the fruits of her labor with me so I could try all these yummy zucchini recipes I have been hankering for lately, so I am indebted to her for allowing these little balls of meat love to enter my world (and by world, I mean mouth).

1 small zucchini
1/4 small white onion
4 garlic cloves
1 lb ground white meat turkey
1 egg white
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T Italian seasoning
1 t cracked pepper
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
hot dog buns
1 cup marinara sauce
5 oz mozzerella

Grate the zucchini, onion, and garlic in a food processor with the grating blade attached, then remove the contents to a separate bowl. This was my first time using my grating blade...it was a blast! I know that probably sounds weird, and might not be as fun for most people as it was for me...but that thing was whirring and whizzing and grating whatever I threw in there into smithereens....I have to find more recipes that need grated veggies. If you don't have a food processor you could use a box grater for the zucchini and onion, and just mince the garlic.

Move to a mixing bowl and add the ground turkey, egg white, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, pepper, and bread crumbs to the bowl to mix with a fork (or your hands if you don't mind getting down and dirty). Preheat the oven to 400 degrees now.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick Pam and ball up your meatballs into 2 T sized hunks. Place onto the cookie sheet so they're not touching each other. This recipe made me about 25 meatballs. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.




Turn the oven to broil, then open up the hotdog buns and place three cooked meatballs in the center. Spoon marinara sauce on top of the meatballs, then top with 1 oz mozzarella cheese per sub. Broil until the sauce is warm, and the cheese is golden brown.



If you want to freeze your extras (I fed 3 people and still have 16 meatballs left). cool them completely then place them into freezer bags or a freezer safe container. To reheat, microwave for 4-5 minutes, or place onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. You could add these meatballs to pasta as well, I'm thinking of doing that with my frozen leftovers.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment