Friday, September 30, 2011

French creole cod

I got this recipe off a blog I follow religiously that is written by Jessica and called Cajunlicious...she is a Southern girl who posts NOLA recipes that I hope to make for my friend Manda (who is from NOLA) when she visits! This cod dish was a guest post from a friend of hers whose site looks amazing as well....check it out HERE.

First off, you know about my love affair with Sam's and their large bags o' fish...I'm addicted.  We may worry about some things in life but we shall never worry about running out of cod or tilapia (my fave fishies besides salmon which I'm not able to cook because the boy hates the sight of it). Secondly, a recipe with this few ingredients? You had me at hello...

Next, any excuse to use my Tony C's creole seasoning and I'm in...so you see, I didn't really have a choice when I saw this. It was printed immediately.


1 lb cod
2 t olive oil
2 t dijon mustard
1/2 t creole seasoning (stick to this, I used more and it was sallllty)
lemon juice and fresh parsley if desired

I use this stuff for all my recipes that call for dijon mustard...love! I will never cheat on your Mr. Woeber...


Preaheat the oven to 400 degrees and Pam a baking dish before adding the cod to it. Mix the olive oil, mustard, and creole seasoning together, brush the spice mixture evely over the fish and place in the prepared dish.




Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  To serve: drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley.

I'm still on the lean protein plus veggie kick so no carbs for this meal...instead of setting these babies on a bed of rice, I've started putting my fishies on a bed of wilted spinach.  I just grabbed two huge handfulls of fresh baby spinach, a little butter (I took half of that butter out after the picture because it looked like too much), a minced garlic clove, and throw them in the microwave for 25 seconds.  Stir and serve, making a little bed for your fish.


I also went with my szecuan green beans which are always a fave, using the frozen green beans I saved from the garden...which turned out splendid I might add!  Justin finished his beans before even touching his fish! Man, they were good that night....



The flavor here was intense and the only complaint I had is that it was suuuuuper salty! BUT that was my own doing by adding waaaay too much Tony C's (the stuff makes me crazy) and for only using 2 fillets of cod when the recipe called for a full pound (which means I had twice the seasoning on each piece as I should have had).  So, all in all this would be made again, following the instructions of course...I guess I need to keep remembering that I don't always know everything...but sometimes I do :)


Pin It


1 comment: