Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Penne Rosa with Shrimp

MMMmmmm, pasta. I am on a mission to go carbless after 5 pm during the week, just to give it a go and see how I do. Looking at pics like this from past weeks is not really helping out a whole lot, I'll tell you that. This pasta was goooooood. The leftovers were goooooood. Main Man and I fought over who got to take the last of it to lunch later that week...

As I stated when I posted the garlic shrimp wild rice, I will never go back to cooking with the pre-cooked pink shrimpies again. This recipe was made with raw shrimp that I cleaned and deveined, it was a little more work but it's totally worth it for the end result...pinky swear. If you don't use raw shrimp, just heat your shrimp through so it's cooked as little as possible.

12 oz whole wheat penne
1 T olive oil (I used 2 T)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pinch red pepper flakes (I used 2 large pinches)
8 oz button mushrooms
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (I used a couple handfulls cherry tomatoes)
salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups fresh spinach
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup marinara sauce (I used 2 cups)
1 container plain Greek yogurt

Cooke penne according to package directions, drain and set aside. In a large skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium low heat and add garlic and pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes or until garlic softens and begins to smell good.

Add in mushrooms, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to release their water. Turn up the heat to medium high and add in shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opague.

Remove from heat, add in spinach, cover, and let wilt for 2 minutes. Remove the lid and place back over low heat before adding the drained penne, Greek yogurt, and marinara sauce. Stir until everything is coated and warmed through.

Serve with dried basil and parmesan cheese on top.  Have a happy Wednesday and I hope you have some wonderful pasta in your life :)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment