Friday, June 29, 2012

Peanut butter bars

I'm not big on desserts, as you know...but these were a wee bit addicting! I would cut off a quarter of a square and eat it, always came back for another quarter, and another quarter, and another quarter...until I ate a whole square anyway. Bet you can't do any better! These would be great for a 4th of July potluck, Maggie made these for her hubby's birthday party and they were a hit...kiddos especially love the sweets, it turns out. 

Sidenote: I will be out of town for the whooooooole week next week (man, that sounds great to say) and won't have great internet/phone service there so you will be on your own for the holiday week of cooking and eating...not that you can't handle it :) If you need a little help, remember you can check out my list of Memorial Day tummy fillers for some Summer fun food.  I shall return in July with lots of great new recipes to share (I'm breaking out the ice cream machine if that gets you excited)! I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday with loved ones, just as I plan to do!!

1 cup brown sugar
½ cup shortening
½ cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup oatmeal
Cream together first 5 ingredients. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Stir in the oatmeal. Pat firmly into a greased 10x15 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
Frosting:

1 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 Tbsp peanut butter
2 ½ Tbsp milk



Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yumm... I can't pass up a peanut butter dessert! Can't wait to try. P.S. I love your blog- I nominated it for an award! :) You can find it here... http://adventuresofamiddlesister.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUMMMM......can't wait to try these out!

    ReplyDelete