Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chocolate chip oreo chunk cookies

A few weeks ago, I asked Main Man if he had any requests for the grocery list for our weekend at the lake. He mentioned string cheese and cookies...he's easy to please :) Well, I brought the string cheese....but I have such an aversion to baking and didn't think he would remember, that I skipped the cookie part. Bad idea. I thought tears were going to spring up the afternoon he asked me where they were....."But I asked you to bring cookies when you asked what I wanted."  Poor guy. I guess his grandparents ALWAYS had Archer cookies at their lake house when he was growing up, so it was particularly scarring that I purposefully ignored his request. What a horrible fiance I am!

So I did what any fiance trying not to be horrible would do, and made him a batch of homemade oreo chocolate chip cookies for the following weekend....a double batch actually! These were perfectly chewy, you got nice hits of chocolate, oreo, and peanut butter in each bite, and for a girl who doesn't bake, they turned out pretty darn good (I will not apologize for the horn tooting there)! When I gave him a bag of the cookies that I made from scratch, not even from a package, for him and him alone....he says "But I said my Grandma had Archer cookies."  A girl just can't win! I guess I should be happy that his preference is store bought rather than homemade so I don't have to bake all the time....but throw a girl a bone here!

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 T vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
2 cups crushed Oreo cookies (not too crushed-use your hands, not a food processor, it's about 15-20 oreos)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease or line your cookie sheets. I greased the first time, and then lined the second time, and it was a world of difference using parchment paper instead of just grease. They came right off, and you can just throw the paper away without having to clean too much crud off the cookie sheets...I will remember that the next time I bake, in about 5 years.

Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together and set aside. I didn't sift...I just mixed with a fork. Take that.

Mix the sugars and melted butter just until thoroughly mixed. Add egg, yolk, and vanilla and mix until creamy. Add the sifted (or fork mixed) ingredients and mix until just blended, don't over beat. I used a fork for this as well, as I am too lazy to clean my beater. It worked just fine!

Stir in the Oreo chunks, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto your baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies and the heat of your oven. The edges of the cookies should just start to be turning golden.

Leave them on the cookie sheet to cool a bit when removed from the oven or they will fall apart. Don't ask how I know that. Once they cool a bit, remove them to a cooling rack to finish cooling. I don't have a cooling rack so I laid them out on a piece of waxed paper.  Makes about 15-20 cookies, depending on size. I doubled the recipe since I figured I won't be baking again for a while, so we were swimming in cookies....for awhile. Once the dads got a hold of the cookie jar on Father's day weekend, they didn't stand a chance! At least they made me feel better about my baking abilities....although I'm thinking that since their ladies weren't there that weekend, they took the opportunity to eat what they wanted without anyone on them about their sugar intake...but I'll take it!



And this is why I don't bake. This recipe sheet pales in comparison to the mess that was my kitchen after this endeavor. Plus, when it's just Main Man and I at home, and I work in an office with only 2 other people, anything  bake will be staring me in the face and taunting me not to fit in my wedding dress in a few months. Not baking is seriously a safety measure for my own diet :)

Anyway, everyone needs a go-to cookie recipe in their box, whether they bake often or not, right? Well, I've decided this shall be mine...


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment