Monday, October 3, 2011

Tuscan chicken pasta

This is actually a meal that I've made quite a few times. It started out as one of those McCormick spice packet meals that I've mentioned before, this one is for Tuscan chicken stew, but I've modified it a bit.  I don't buy the packets anymore, just keep the recipe card for future use.  Looking below, it seems like this requires a lot of ingredients but it's really not too bad as it's mainly stuff I keep on hand anyway.  I only really have to make sure to grab a couple things if I want to make this.


1 t fennel seed
1 t basil leaves
1 t minced garlic
1 t rosemary leaves
1 t oregano
1 t black pepper
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1 medium onion, diced
1 can (15 oz) cannellini or other white beans, drained and rinsed (that sliminess with canned beans is gucky)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (I used rotel diced tomatoes with habaneros to add some heat)
1 can mushrooms (wasn't in the recipe, I just like em!)
1/2 cup red wine (or use water if you are a non boozer who doesnt keep vino in the house)
1 pkg baby spinach leaves
1 cup cherry tomatoes from your garden because you have a legitimate problem on your hands with having too many to use, and serious personal issues with letting food go to waste
1 package wheat noodles (spag, angel hair, whatev)

Use Pam to keep the skillet non-stuck and cook the chicken breasts until they are browned (about 10 minutes.


Start a pot of boiling water for your noodles, I used wheat thin spagetti noodles this time but usually use wheat angel hair for this recipe.  Remove the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces. Add onion and fennel seed to the skillet and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring throughout.


Stir in beans, tomatoes, red wine, and remaining spices.  Stir frequently and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  Return chicken to skillet and stir in spinach.


Cover and cook for 5 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.


Once the noodles are cooked, add them to the skillet.  I used a whole box, which may have been excessive considering we only had 2 people to feed and I've already eaten 3 meals off this by myself.  This is one of my fave pastas as I feel like it's light and fresh but also filling and hearty.  Or maybe it's because I have to open a bottle of wine for the recipe and you know I can't let that go to waste...



Add some parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper to spice it up a bit, and have at it!


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment