Friday, January 13, 2012

Aunt Mary's cherry junk

It's dessert Friday, people!!  You know I rarely make desserts, unless it's for a gathering, because I hate being stuck with the leftovers staring at me from the fridge....yeah, they stare and they whisper to me "Abby, you're not going to waste me, are you? You don't get me that often anyway, you better just have a nibble".  I swear!

This is one dessert that I don't mind being stuck with the leftovers though, as it's not going to be murder on my waistline (angel food cake is made primarily with egg whites)! This has been a staple at holiday gatherings for as long as I can remember...no one ever knew what to call it, so it was referred to as the cherry junk. 

I made this for New Years Eve at our house this year and I think people were afraid to try it...it doesn't really look like cake, or pie, or a bar, or any other standard dessert. I will say that for how low fat/cal it is, it really shouldn't taste so decadant!  Since we're trying to snip the inches in our household for the upcoming wedding, I figured I would share with you the lightest dessert I have in my repertoire....here goes:

2 boxes instant vanilla pudding (has to be instant, and I used sugar free)
1 container cool whip (I used fat free)
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
2 cans cherry pie filling (I used sugar free)
1 whole angel food cake

Crumb the angel food cake in a 9x13 cake pan, or a little larger container. 


Mix the pudding up according to directions, and pour it over the cake.


Mix the sour cream and cool whip together, and spread over the top of the cake.  Spread the pie filling over all of it like so. Refrigerate before serving, best served cold!


Pin It


4 comments:

  1. This sounds Yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good, we make it every time we have a function. We have used different kinds of pie filling and it is still delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I love all your recipes - I'd love to link to your site from my site RecipeLion.com. We don't post full recipes, we always include a link back to your site. Please contact me if you're interested! jsward (at) primecp . com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need a printer friendly version. Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete