Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chicken lo mein

Since the New Year, I've been trying to cook even healthier, without oil and butter etc, in order to keep up with our very cliche weight loss goals for the year...the wedding date is a way better motivation than I've ever had in years past though! We are still kicking pretty good at it, I've tried some great new recipes which I will be sharing, but also reverted back to some old stand-bys of my own that I haven't made as much since I started this blog and trying new things on a regular basis. I used to have a couple handfulls of recipes I would circle through and that was that...didn't want to spend too much time in the kitchen so the recipes I had memorized and could just grab ingredients for at the store without having a list always trumped trying something new.

This is one of the old standbys, and there are only a few ingredients needed and the rest is whatever you want to throw in...I've been making this for years, and I like it because it's all fresh ingredients, no oil or butter or anything like that, and it's low in calories.  The entire bottle of sauce is 400 calories and one bottle covers about 8 meals so you're looking at about 50 calories of sauce on top of fresh chicken and veggies per serving...not too shabby!

These are the veggies I decided to use this round...usually a few staples (like water chestnuts because I love them) and then whatever I've got in the fridge from other things (cabbage and sugar snap peas leftover). I've done broccoli, carrots, onions, or whatever else I feel the need to saute.   


This humongo box of noodles has lasted me years....seriously. Like I was wondering if I should still even be using them...but lo and behold, Google (wth did we do before you?) says I'm fine and they don't go bad. So I just boiled a handful of them according to the pachage directions. There are actual lo mein noodles which are thinner available in the pasta section I've gotten before, but these noodles seem to soak up the sauce so well, I will use them until they are gone.

You really don't need rice, but if you prefer to have rice, I go the easy route. Heat two of these babies up in the microwave and throw them in after everything is done.  Yumtastical!


No oil, just use fat free cooking spray to keep your chicken from sticking to the pan. I seasoned it with Lawry's, garlic powder, and cracked black pepper.


Aaaaand, your sauce. This is the stuff I use on my szechuan green beans, so I always have it on hand. 


After you cook your chicken until it's almost done, take it out and slice it into bite sized pieces. While you're doing this, throw all your veggies into the skillet/wok and add the sauce so they saute nicely and soak up all that flava flav! Add the chicken back to the pan and stir in the cooked noodles and rice.  Leave on a low heat and continue to stir until chicken is completely cooked through.  Serve.  Drool. Love. Die happy.  And die basically fat free.

I made this last Wednesday and ate it for lunch at least for 4 days (so the one reason I don't make this often is that I know I am going to have metric crap tons of leftovers, you just can't add all the veggies you want without having a heap of food).  I don't get sick of this stuff, I'm telling you...the sauce gives it just enough heat to make it not boring, the veggies are still very crunchy and fresh tasting, the noodles soak up the sauce perfectly so they're never dry but not at all tasting as though they are soaked in grease...perfection.


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment