Thursday, January 5, 2012

Prime rib and horseradish sauce

I'm such a carnivore.  Like I do not have a slight understanding of how someone could live their lives without meat. I know, I'm a heathen.  But goodness, there's something sexy about a good cut of meat. Yeah, that's right, I said sexy! This was legitimately, most likely the best prime rib I may have ever had. I do believe we may have stumbled onto a new Christmas Day tradition...at least I hope so! Justin's mama picked up a 5 pounder for our big dinner and it couldn't have turned out better. Usually prime rib is one of those things you can't get unless you go out to eat and pay through the nose for it...but this makes me never want to go to a restaurant again! Although it's not going to help me fit in my wedding dress to be having 5 lb hunks of meat laying around the house to inhale at my every whim...

This recipe is one I got from one of the demonstrations at the wine and food expo in Des Moines a couple years ago.  They gave out samples and I was sold...couldnt wait to get home and try it.  But then I did wait. When do you make prime rib? Justin and I don't need to make it for ourselves, and I sure as heck am not having all my friends over for it with the cost of that meat, so when Candy mentioned it for Christmas, I was pumped!  And it's seriously easier than you would ever think....just takes some slow cooking time...

1-12# prime rib (beef tip roast)
2 T salt
2 T pepper
1 t garlic salt

Season the prime rib generously on both sides with all ingredients and set aside. Leave the meat at room temp for awhile so it cooks evenly. Place the prime rib into a 350 degree oven for approx 1/2 hour per pound or unil the internal temp reaches 140 degrees (it will continue to cook when it rests). It needs to rest out of the oven for 15 minutes so the juices can redistribute for a MOIST medium rare cut.


Horseradish sauce:
3 cups may
2 T horseradish
1 cups sour cream
1.5 T dijon mustard
2 T stone ground mustard
salt and pepper to taste and squeeze of lemon



Obviously this was done very medium rare, which in my mind is absolutely the only way meat should be prepared.  The juice (aka...blood) is what gives it it's flavor and cooking all the pink out of a steak is blasphemy in my book!  But if you like it a little more done, cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees for medium and if you honestly have to ruin the meat by cooking it to a well done then hit an internal temperature of 170.  But don't do that....please!


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment