Thursday, June 16, 2011

Asiago crusted pork chops

As you know, we have a pig in the deep freeze so I'm always looking for new pork recipes.  Pork chops are great to just throw on the grill with some marinade on them but sometimes you want to try something different.  Justin was a little nervous about this one but it was another one that when he walked in and smelled it cooking, his worries were put to rest. 

4 boneless loin pork chops (I only used 2 but there is enough mixture for 4)
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup panko (japanese bread crumbs)
1/4 cup grated asiago cheese
1 t salt
1 t pepper
2 t fresh thyme (I used the dried stuff in my spice rack)

Pound your chops out to about a 1/4 inch thick using a meat mallot.  Place the egg white in a shallow dish.  Combine panko, cheese, salt, and pepper in another shallow dish.  Heat your skillet up to medium heat with some fat free Pam cooking spray to avoid sticking.  Dip each chop into the egg white, and then into the panko mixture and add them to the skillet. 



I used the extra panko mixture and rubbed it on top of the chops in the skillet so I didnt waste much.  Cook 5-8 minutes on each side or until lightly browned....mine werent pounded out thin enough so they took a bit longer to cook. 


These turned out very juicy, and were a nice change of pace from our usual pork chops.  I would def make these again especially if you eat as much pork as we do....

By the way, I went lazy on the side and just did a packet of low fat Italian Sides brand tomato basil penne if you were wondering what that pasta was on the side there...cook for 10 minutes and dinner is done!

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of an entree I used to order during my college days- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've used panko and really liked it...they turned out great and were much easier than I expected!

    ReplyDelete