Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Chicken salad

When we were at Indy this year, we ate at Champs one night and Amanda had the most amazing chicken salad sandwich I have ever had...Im sticking with the fact that it was just an outstanding sandwich and not that the margaritas before were contributing to the wonderful taste in my mouth!  Justin absolutely loved it and asked why I never make chicken salad at home...like I never cook.  I honestly didnt know I liked it that much and didnt think it would top his list of faves either, so I have never made it before. 

I do know that depending what you throw in there, it can be a pretty hefty calorie hit.  So I looked up a bunch of recipes online (there are TONS) and tried to form one of my own out of others ingredients.  I stayed pretty plain for this first batch as I didnt want to ruin it, but I think it came out well.  I will probably continue to play around with it in the future until I perfect it....

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup fat free mayo
2 T spicy mustard (pictured below)
2 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onions
crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste

First I seasoned and baked the chicken breast in the oven.  You could throw it on the grill too if you have it running...whatever strikes your fancy.  I used (very liberally I might add) lawry's, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to season the chicken before baking.  The oven was set at 425 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.

After the chicken is done and cooled off, I shredded it with a fork and added all the other ingredients.  This mustard I use on everything is this shizz...I literally don't buy any other kind anymore, it add so much flavor to anything. 


Here is the finished product ready to head to the fridge to chill:


I have been making Justin's lunches for work for him for a few weeks so that he doesn't have to eat garbage from fast food joints or gas stations....and he's lost about 15 lbs because of it!  I've been making him ham or turkey sammies but you can't expect a boy to live on those every day all summer, so this was an experimental batch to leave for his lunches and see if he liked it.  I asked him to send me a pic of it when he was eating it the other day and this is what I got...


I guess that means it's good??  :)  He did say he added cheese and it was better without so I would just throw some on a roll and have at it.  Next time I may throw in some hard boiled eggs as well....maybe a little fresh dill or basil from the herb planter?  We shall see.  Sidenote: when did I become a grandmother with my gardens, planters, and making my own recipes?? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment