Monday, June 20, 2011

Mexican chicken casserole

I got this recipe from a site called dukanitout.com that gives recipes for people who are doing the dukan diet.  I'm not 100% sure what the dukan diet is but there are phases and I believe its pretty strict on carbs and sugars...I'm not doing the diet, I just thought this looked good (as do a good portion of their recipes). 

I doubled the sauce recipe since I wanted to use the whole enchilada sauce container and the whole cream cheese container instead of leaving halves in the fridge.....also so that I would have some to save.  I threw it in a freezer container and will use it for chicken enchiladas sometime...the sauce is yummy, I think I saw Justin lick the container.  I did alter the recipe some too...they didn't include rice but I just needed something else besides chicken and sauce.  Maybe its just in my head and I need to check this dukan stuff out but I really was glad I put some rice in there so soak up the yummy sauce. 

1 cup fat free chicken broth
2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small onion
1 cup skim milk
1 cup 2% mexican cheese (they used fat free but I dont think it melts as well)
1/4 cup fat free cream cheese
1.5 cups enchilada sauce

Combine the broth and 1 can of green chiles in a large skillet, bring to a boil.  Add chicken and simmer until chicken is done...took me about 15-20 minutes. 



Remove chicken from cooking liquid and pour liquid in a cup to reserve.  Spray skillet with fat free Pam cooking spray and add the diced onion and the other can of green chilles. Next time I would add a diced up jalopeno or two to the onion mixture as I would've liked a little more heat in the casserole (chiles are good flavor but not hot).  Saute for 5 minutes. 



Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce and stir well, bring to a boil. 



Pull chicken apart into bite sized pieces and add the chicken to the skillet (before I did this, I poured out half of the fully prepared sauce since I doubled the recipe).


I put 2 packages of my trusty Uncle Ben's microwave rice packs in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.



Add the chicken and sauce mixture on top, and put your cheese on top of that before covering and baking at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. 



I served with a dallop of fat free sour cream on top as well as some fresh cilantro picked from my herb planter on the deck.  MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this was good! The whole pan was gone after 3 of us ate dinner.  I'm excited to use the extra sauce later for something new!



Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment