Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Grilled corn on the cob with roasted jalapeno butter

This was very simple and had some good flavor to it, but not an overpowering jalapeno flavor by any means.  Some people get scared off when they hear the word jalapeno and aren't into hot stuff...I will tell you that I thought this would be hotter than what it was so I was a bit disappointed at first.  But the way you cook them will determine the taste you get from them, and roasting will always take the heat out of a pepper.  I did learn some things doing this recipe though....

The corn part is easy...just shuck it and throw it on the grill.  Turn every so often when you get the grill marks on it, and it should be done in less than 10 minutes for sure.  I made the jalapeno butter ahead of time though.  Here's what you need:

1 jalapeno pepper
7 t unsalted butter, softened
2 t honey
1 t salt

That is enough butter for 6 ears of corn so if you're doing more than that, double it.  Preheat the grill to medium high heat and throw the jalapeno on the grill rack.  Grill until blackened or charred, turning every so often to cook evenly. 

I almost skipped this step but am glad I didn't.  I didn't have a paper bag which is what it calls for...."Place jalapeno in a small paper bag, and fold tightly to seal. Let stand for 5 minutes."  I just used a piece of white computer paper and made a little paper bag instead.  I discovered the reason behind this is that the paper absorbs the oil or moisture from the skin of the pepper and the skin pulls apart from the flesh of the pepper making it ridiculously easy to skin the pepper.  You learn something new every day I guess...

So you discard the stem, seeds, skin, and membrane and dice up the pepper as small as possible.  Combine the chopped pepper with the ingredients listed above and stir well.  I served this with a brush and left it room temp so it was easy to apply to the ears of corn. 


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment