Monday, June 20, 2011

Grilled stuffed swordfish

I think swordfish is quickly becoming my favorite seafood to make at home.  For some reason the first bite always tastes real fishy to me when it's grilled but after that it's perfecto!  This was a great way to do it and although it doesnt seem like it, it was super easy.  I've always been afraid of sauces and am quickly becoming more accustomed to reducing things and all that jazz.  It really does't take long to make a sweet (sweet meaning awesome, not sweet meaning taste, haha) sauce.  Now that I've said all that I should tell you I ruined this one by reducing it too far and doing it too soon so it separated by the time I wanted to use it but that's neither here nor there...it really is easy, I promise...I'm just easily distracted (read: I was talking on the phone when cooking). 

Anyway, as I was saying...swordfish has a permanent place in my freezer now, I am finding all sorts of good recipes for it and I just love how meaty of a fish it is.  You're eating healthy but you feel like you just ate a slab of beef, it's very filling.  Another thing I did wrong with this recipe was substitute jalopeno raisin cooking wine (pictured below) for the dry white wine in the marinade.  Thought it would add some zing...it added something alright.  Not the best taste to pair with fish....although that stuff is awesome in pasta sauces and italian recipes, fyi!



Recipe for the marinade (you want to soak your swordfish in this overnight):

1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup coy sauce
1 T prepared Dijon-style mustard
1 t grated fresh ginger root (I skipped this as I didn't want to run to the store again)
1 t sesame oil
3 T olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice


When you're ready to cook, remove the swordfish from the marinade and reserve the liquid that's left...DO NOT throw it away like I almost did!  Use a sharp knife to cut slits, or pockets, into the sides of the swordfish. 

In a large bowl, toss together these ingredients:

4 cups coursely chopped arugula
3 T olive oil
3 T lemon juice
1 cup fresh chopped tomato
salt and pepper

Should look like this....


Stuff the swordfish with the arugula mixture and seal with toothpicks.  I could've done 4 swordfish steaks with that amount of stuffing but we ate the extra stuffing as a side, as I only made 2 of the filets. 


Place marinade in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until reduced by half.  This is where I lost track of time and let it go waaaaay too long.  It still had good taste but was very concentrated...



Heat the grill to high heat and grill the swordfish for 5 minutes on each side.  Spoon the reduced marinade over swordfish and Voila!  Usually when you stuff chicken or fish it ends up being with cheese or something heavy and fatty so I really liked that this was stuffed with arugula and tasted really light.  None of the mistakes I made ruined this meal so I was happy with that...but it will be so much better the next time I make it!  I just did a skewar of bell peppers and onions on the grill with no sauce as our side that night....




Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment