Friday, July 1, 2011

Chicken and orzo

I've never played with orzo before but have seen it in so many recipes that I just grabbed a box last time I was at the store and found something online to throw it into.  It's supposedly a pasta but it's shaped like rice, but with bigger kernals...I fell in love! 

I modified this recipe because it originally included peas, and I would love to eradicate the world of that veggie only...can't stand them.  Although sugar snap peas are pretty bomb so they can stay on my planet  :)  Anyway, I added the peppers and mushrooms just because I had them and wanted to jazz it up a bit since I took all the color out with the peas. 

1 cup water
1 (16 oz) can fat free, less-sodium chicken broth
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used 2 large breasts), cut into bite sized pieces
1 and 1/4 cup orzo (I used two cups because I didn't want to leave a half cup in the box unused)
1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
1 can mushrooms, not drained
2 bell peppers, diced (I used red and yellow because you know I only buy Cyclone colors!)
1 t salt
1 t cracked pepper
1 t crushed red pepper
fresh basil or parsley (I used parsley but would use oregano next time)

Combine water and broth in a large skillet, and bring to a boil.  Add chicken and bring to a boil. 



Add pasta, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, simmer 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I cut my peppers up during this step. 



So perdy, aren't they? Way better than black and gold peppers would look!

Add peppers, mushrooms, cheese, and spices to the skillet and stir every 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and serve...I added fresh parsley on top but it would've added more flavor to use basil...will do that next time. 



I had a problem feeling like I was eating pasta instead of rice, it felt like really healthy chinese food since the veggies were crunchy and fresh tasting...so I added low sodium soy sauce and that was all she wrote!



Fat Stats:
384 calories
6 g fat
34.3 g protein
45.7 g carbs

The recipe (from http://www.myrecipes.com/) says it makes 4 servings but since I added more pasta and veggies I would say we had 6 servings as Curt had 2 bowls, Justin had a big plate, I had a bowl, and we still have a good sized portion in the fridge for later!

Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment