Monday, July 18, 2011

Oreo cheesecake pops

So cake pops are all the rage now from what I see online.  I never really had a desire to make them until I saw this though.  It was listed on Foodbuzz's top 9 recipes of the day on Thursday. I had planned on buying a little birthday cake for my friend Christina, whose birthday celebration I will be missing due to being gone on RAGBRAI...eeeeeek, it's less than a week away!!  Anyway, her and her boyfriend were coming for dinner Friday and once I saw the little amount of ingredients, and that it included oreos (I'm not a huge cookie freak but oreos just do it for me), I decided I had better give it a shot.  Besides, if I screwed it up, I could just go with my original plan and buy a little cake on the way home from work on Friday. Always plan for failure...good logic, huh? Here's what you need...

1 package of Oreo cookies
1 (8 oz) container cream cheese (I used fat free)
1 package white chocolate wafers or chips
lollipop sticks
styrofoam block

Take 5 of the oreos and put them in your food processor....grind these to a fine crumb, you won't even be able to see the white middle part anymore. Set aside.


Take the rest of your cookies, break them up into pieces and put them into the food processor with the cream cheese. Process until well blended...this will be your "cake".  Put the mixture in the fridge for an hour.


After it's chilled, mold the dough into one inch balls, and put them back in the fridge for 20 minutes (I put them in the freezer for half that time).  One suggestion: Do remember that there is a blade in the bottom of your food processor bowl when you are scraping the bottom with your fingers to get all the chocolate love out of there.  I sliced myself quite well and Justin had to finish balling the cakes up!

While the balls are hardening up (hehe, yes I have the humor of a 5th grader), melt your white chocolate in a double boiler.  If you do not have a double boiler, like me,  you have to improvise.  Use two saucepans and put an inch or more of water in the bottom of the larger one.  Put your chocolate in the smaller one, and set it inside the one with the water. Put your burner on high and let the bottom pan boil on high to melt the chocolate in the top pan.  DO NOT try to melt the chocolate on direct heat, you will scorch and ruin it....trust me.  I learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago! Make sure you watch your water level and don't boil all the water out too....





When the chocolate is melted, get your balls out of the fridge and put lollipop sticks into the center of each one. The smaller ones worked better than the larger ones, for future reference.



Dip the solid cake pops into the melted white chocolate and then dip in the ground up oreos that you set aside.  Put the pops in the freezer for 2 hours, then stick them into the styrofoam in a vase or other serving dish.  And now you have a little bouquet of cake balls :)

As you know, I am not a huge dessert person but these were mmmmmmmmmm!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHRISTINA!!



No comments:

Post a Comment