Friday, July 22, 2011

Chicken and rice burritos

Since I'm gone for the week for RAGBRAI, I usually leave Justin some meals in the fridge to throw in the oven (with instructions on the tin foil) so he doesnt starve to death while I'm gone.  Actually, it's to prevent him from eating gas station pizza the whole time.  This started out as a plan to make chicken enchiladas, but after I started I realized I only had 3 large tortillas and 1 small one....so we added rice and went for burritos.

In order to do these meals, I cleared out my freezer.  This sauce was pre-made from the Mexican chicken casserole I made last month and frozen for future use...CLICK HERE for the recipe.  I started by spraying some Pam in my skillet and heating to medium heat.  Here is what else you will need:

Filling:
4 chicken breasts
1 can Rotel tomatoes with habaneros (use tomatoes with green chiles if you don't like things hot)
1 onion, diced
1 bag Uncle Ben's 90 second spanish rice

Extras:
4 large tortillas
2 cups mexican cheese

Cook the chicken first, then add the other fillings to the skillet. 



Add 2 large serving spoonfulls of the sauce we had frozen, and bring to a boil.  Take the chicken out of the pan and cut into small pieces before adding back to the skillet. 



Once all your ingredients are mixed together, remove your pan from the heat.  Take your tortillas, and heat them in the microwave for 10 seconds to warm them, this prevents them from tearing when you fill them.  Fill them full, roll them up, and put them in a baking dish (with Pam in the bottom).  Pour the remaining sauce from the freezer on top of the burritos and throw the cheese on top.


I put directions on the tin foil to have the oven at 400 degrees and cook (covered) for 25-30 minutes.  Everything is cooked so you just need to warm it all, and let the flavors meld.

Maybe he will remember to take a picture when he cooks it, but I doubt it :)  I am a little jealous he gets to eat this while I'm gone and wish I would've saved it for when I was home...I taste tested the filling and the sauce and they were both amazing!  Will be even better with my homemade salsa Im sure...we are down to our last 2 jars on that so its almost time for another batch...

This would be a great meal to make and throw in the freezer as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment