Monday, July 18, 2011

Egg salad BLT's

A little twist on an old classic.  We looooooove BLT's and sweet corn in the Summer...its like the quintessential Iowa Summer meal, and the Grimes sweet corn just started popping up last week.  The only thing that is bad about this is how much Summer is gone, I hate looking toward Winter. Those of you who have never had fresh Iowa sweet corn are seriously missing out...it's one of the simplest pleasures in life.  Toward the end of the Summer, I will buy a few dozen ears, cut them off the cob, and freeze it for the Winter.  It's that good, I can't wait till the following Summer for more.

So I thought I would mix up the routine a bit and replace the standard mayo with egg salad, that's gotta be good, right?  Right.  The only thing I will say is that is tastes more like an egg salad sandwich with bacon, rather than a BLT with egg salad.  If you're having a serious BLT hankering, you better just stick with the tried and true.  This is really good though, I loved it! Justin ate his egg salad as a side so he could savor his bacon all by it's lonesome though :) 

For the egg salad:
8 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup fat free mayo
3 T thinly sliced green onions (these make it great!)
3 T fat free sour cream
2 T dijon mustard
1 t freshly ground black pepper

Cut your eggs up into small pieces and combine all other ingredients together.  This is a standard egg salad recipe but very tasty!


Everyone knows how to make a BLT...cook your bacon, slice your maters, throw on some lettuce.  I usually use turkey bacon but since we have this darn hog in the freezer, Justin won't settle for the better for you stuff at this moment...once it is gone though, I just don't buy real bacon and he doesn't have a problem with that.

I used Italian loaf from Wal-Mart for the bread.  If you've never tried it before, Wal-Mart has surprisingly good fresh baked bread, I go there just for that sometimes.  I threw it in the oven to toast and then added a layer of egg salad before throwing on my B, my L, and my T.  I really thought it was a great replacement for mayo, or I guess it's an addition to mayo since there's mayo in the egg salad.  This was a HUGE sandwich, I would need thinner slices of bread next time, but this is a make again for me. 

I plan on throwing some tuna in the leftover egg salad so Justin has tuna salad sandwiches for lunch. I love recipes that make my life easier :)





Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment