Thursday, July 21, 2011

Grilled chicken with fresh grape glaze

No pics of this meal...I know, I am slacking. But I had a lot going on that night.  Like coming home to 5 guys swimming to beat the heat since they got off work early. Luckily, I had a bunch of chicken thighs from Sam's Club to throw on the grill, and this glaze topped it off nicely.  I did singe the chicken a bit when the glaze dripped on the burner and started a wildfire...but it seemed to char the taste into the skin...and who doesnt like tasty skin!?  Anywho...this made WAY too much glaze, so I am freezing the leftover to make again sometime, or find a new fun use for it. 

When I read the ingredients to this (although it sounds weird to glaze with grapes), I fell in love.  Everything I love is included...soy sauce, which is the main reason I like sushi I think, its just a vehicle to get more soy sauce in my mouth...balsamic vinegar, which we have gone over before, I could drink it from a glass...garlic, vamps will never be a problem for me...rosemary, which is pretty much my new favorite spice and I will be growing it next year in my herb planter.  So when I saw all these listed TOGETHER on http://www.myrecipes.com/ , it had to happen.  So here we go...

Glaze:
3 cups seedless red grapes
2 t olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, freshly minced
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 T low sodium soy sauce
1 t brown sugar
1 t chopped fresh rosemary

Chicken:
1 T olive oil
8 chicken thighs
2 t chopped fresh rosemary
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t salt
cooking spray

To prepare the glaze, place grapes in a blender or food processer until smooth.  Heat 2 T oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion, cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add garlic; cover and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stire in all the rest of your ingredients listed above for the glaze, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thick.  Cool slightly, and then place the mixture back in the blender or processor, and process until smooth.  Set aside.

Start the grill to get it warmed up, I used low heat for chicken so it cooks through without burning the outside (usually this plan works).  To prepare chicken, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, pepper, and salt.  Place chicken on the grill that you coated with cooking spray to prevent sticking, cover and grill for 25 minutes or until done, making sure to turn and baste frequently with the glaze. 

There were no leftovers. This is a good sign.  Actually, Curt was looking for seconds but Cody beat him to the last helping...so sad.  I made taters on the grill too, so my house was not an oven in the over 3 digit temps outside...grilling or just not cooking are the only options when it's this hot!

1 comment: