Friday, July 15, 2011

Spicy spinach-stuffed chicken

This has been on my list foreva-eva to try, but I kept forgetting to grab fresh spinach at the store.  I've been on a chicken kick lately, and this did not disappoint.  Chicken can get pretty boring so I have to keep finding new ways to mix it up...and this was a great way to do that.  I got this off of http://www.ommynoms.blogspot.com/ again, can you tell I like her blog?? 

The reason I was so excited about it was the PJ cheese, I love love love PJ cheese...I don't ever eat any other kind if there's an option.  Anyway, here's what you need:

1 (10 oz package) fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (I used reduced fat as the fat free doesnt melt right)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 2 ginormous ones instead)
fresh cracked black pepper
8 slices of bacon (2 for each piece of chicken so I only used 4)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees first.  Put the spinach in a bowl and throw in the microwave for 1 minute, until it wilts.  Take it out and add the sour cream, pj cheese, garlic, and pepper to the mixture.  How good does that look? Yes, I licked the spoon...don't judge me. 


Mix all that up evenly, and use a meat tenderizer to pound your chicken breasts out as thin as possible.  Once they are laid out, you can fill them with the stuffing, roll them up and wrap them with bacon, securing with toothpicks.  This picture below is for those of you who told me to start a blog...my cooking is not pretty, and I mess things up a lot...this craptastic pile of unappetizing looking garbage is how my food looks.  Also for those of you who think you can't cook...this shizz is not hard if you don't care how it looks, only care how it tastes! Granted, I tried to pile in 4 breasts worth of stuffing into 2 breasts so I wouldnt waste it...but you get the point. To be honest though, I don't think I would want to lose any of my stuffing...having extra made it creamier and nobody likes a dry chicken, so my vote is: stuff those suckers as full as you can get them (and lick your plate when you're done)!




Throw in the oven and cook for 35 minutes.  The recipe says to increase the heat to 500 degrees or use the broiler to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes to crisp the bacon up, but I had used cooked bacon leftover from the BLT night we had, so mine was done.  I also would normally have used turkey bacon but we had to get rid of the full fat stuff we had in the fridge.  They came out of the oven looking better than that picture above though...and they tasted phenomenal!  A little heat from the cheese but not too much, good creamy filling, and they were huge so I could only eat half. 


I poured the extra juice on top and VOILA....yumtastical chicken.  Every part-time kitchenista needs a go-to chicken recipe...and this just might be mine!


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment