Saturday, October 29, 2011

Broccoli cheese soup

So this is kinda cheating.  I don't make this from scratch...not even slightly.  But I had to pass this on to you so you could go buy it....ok, I'll wait till you get back.
Who doesn't love cheese soup? I think it's Justin's fave if I were to nail him down on a soup commitment.  I will say this is not diet soup, so I apologize if I got your hopes up for it being low-cal.  But you know how when you're sick and you want soup, but you don't want to make it from scratch? This was how I discovered the bagged cheese soup.  Stopped at the store on the way home to get some kleenex, some meds, and some soup...came out with this.


I just follow the directions on the package (which you only need 8 cups of water to make, by the way) and it's done in 10 minutes...seriously.  I have also been known to add a couple slices of real diced ham (not the lunchmeat stuff) since we have Wilbur frozen in the deep freeze, to give the soup some girth (did she really just use the word girth to describe food? Yes, she did.) and some staying power.  I made this for tailgating this weekend since it's going to be chilllllllllly (except it wasn't chilly at all, it was legit hot out for the end of October)!!  Nothing warms ya up like a bowl of soup and crackers...and even though it was warm out already this did get demolished so I would say that's a good sign!



Pin It


5 comments:

  1. We used to love the bagged soup mix, but then I realized that making it from scratch wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I got hooked. Adding ham is a really good idea- I'll have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you say that...I am going to be trying a homemade tomato soup recipe this week, and it surprised me how easy it looked! I do make chicken noodle and beef noodle from scratch but never tried a cream soup so will see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you lining your crockpot with? I see you do it in every crockpot recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy slow cooker liners in the ziplock section of the store...they work WONDERS and are seriously a lifesaver after the crockpot bakes something to the side. I can't live without them! Here's what they look like:

      http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM195724257P?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=27-113126667-2

      Delete
    2. I guess links don't work in the comments section so you'll have to copy and paste that link...

      Delete