Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grandma's zucchini cookies

Another guest posting from my Aunt Kris's Facebook album dedicated to her foodie pics for me (unbeknownst to her, of course).  It was my late Grandma Mary's recipe so it will be in my family cookbook to pass on to my kids someday, I love recipes like that...makes you feel all sentimental when preparing them and remembering loved ones. Anywho (that was a Grandpa Jim-ism, which reminds me I should post his chili recipe that was written down as he dictated before he died), I know it's past zucchini season, but filing this away for next year's bumper crop should really be on your list to do!

¾ C butter (I used half butter; half plain apple sauce to equal the total of ¾ C)
1 ½ C sugar (I used 1C sugar; ½ C splenda)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ C grated zucchini
2 ½ C flour (I used 1 ¼ C each white flour and whole wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 C chopped almonds
1 C chocolate chips (I used dark choc chips)

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and zucchini. Stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Then stir in nuts and choc chips. Drop on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for about 13 min. Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm. Makes about 3 dozen medium sized cookies.

This is a recipe of my Mom’s that I copied into my first recipe book when I got my first apartment in college and could actually cook away from home for the first time. It was a summer recipe she made with fresh zucchini from the garden. The cookies come out as cake-like, which is not usually what I like in a cookie, but these are good. And here’s my personal tip, discovered by a happy accident: One time I froze them in an effort to not be tempted by them sitting on the counter, and who knew? They taste better frozen! Now, when I make them, I transfer them right into the freezer once they’re cooled. Just flash freeze them for about 10-15 min on a cookie sheet in a single layer, then you can stack them in a large freezer bag for nibbling on later. They’re good for up to 3 months and make for a tasty, cool summer treat- although with the availability of zucchini all year, they don’t just have to be a summer cookie anymore!

(I modified the recipe this time and came up with a moderately more healthy version that still tastes just like the original. I might even up the whole wheat flour a tad bit more the next time. I don’t always like these kinds of recipes made entirely of whole wheat flour, but this was a nice blend. Although, I did see “whole wheat pastry flour” in the organic/natural grocery store I shop in, so will have to investigate that- perhaps it will work better for these types of recipes?)

Pin It


1 comment:

  1. Wow, who knew I'd be guest posting twice in a month without even knowing it? Cool! (And such a nice tribute to both Mom and Dad in your comments. Funny, as I was just thinking this week about making a batch of Dad's chili now that the weather is cooling off out here. I love the smell of it simmering on the stove on a Sunday afternoon. Reminds me of home and happy times.)

    ReplyDelete